Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 06:56:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Acquiring a fabric line-two part question

Started by angelalovesart, October 16, 2010, 01:36:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

angelalovesart

I am pretty new to the upholstery trade and really want to carry a fabric line. I am afraid of sounding like a real rube when I call a salesperson at Duralee, Robert Allen,etc., what do they need/require of my business? How do you ask to carry their fabrics?

Also, does anyone know of any affordable (i.e. lower than $50 customer cost) fabric lines? I know there are some from Greenhouse but I am not impressed with anything they carry. I prefer bright and modern prints for my business.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Angela

textilecustomupholstery.com

sofadoc

It's a lot trickier than it used to be. I've never had to seek out a supplier. They always found me. But nowadays, most of them want you to buy the initial load of sample books. In 30+ years, I've never paid for a sample book.
When you contact a wholesaler, they will have you fill out an application, and provide a taxID#. They will probably ask for some type of company letterhead to verify your business. Once you start buying a lot of fabric from them, the free books will start rolling in.
I carry several lines, such as Greenhouse, Robert Alan, and Charlotte to name a few. I'm surprised that Greenhouse doesn't have what you want. They have by far the largest selection in my shop. They account for about 70% of my fabric sales, while about a dozen other suppliers share the other 30%. Having said that, I must admit that their prices aren't anything special. Most of their fabrics retail from the low 30's on up.
Good luck in getting established with a supplier.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban