Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 10:26:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bonded Seating Vinyl

Started by baileyuph, October 16, 2010, 06:08:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

October 16, 2010, 06:08:09 am Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:50:19 pm by DB
Manufacturers, for example marine seats, often use bonded vinyl (foam backing) in their seat upholstery.  

It would be facilitating to duplicate, with the same vinyl, as there are enhancements using these materials.

Therefore, anyone with knowledge of availabilty of this vinyl to custom shops, other than boat dealers?  

Any experiences with this issue?

Doyle

JuneC

Doyle, some common suppliers of marine vinyl like Morbern make a stock foam-backed vinyl in limited lines and colors.  But, in the past when I wanted to match something existing or get a custom color, I've just had Keyston Bros laminate 1/4" foam to the vinyl for me.  I haven't done it in a while, but last time I think it was quite inexpensive - something like $5 a yard.  They don't do it themselves, but send it out and it takes usually about a week.   

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

Hmmmm,

Thanks June, good to know because probability might be that their stock colors would suffice as most of my requirements have been in a shade of white.

Valuable information because that backing will add substantiality to the final cover.  I would estimate that the bond material (foam added) is in the range 2 to 3 sixteenths (inch) and one might not anticipate a difference using non bonded vinyl, but it is significant.

I never thought of asking my suppliers if custom bonding is available, light went on!

Thanks,

Doyle

MinUph

When I run into this I rough cut the pieces and use 1/4" poly and cement it to the vinyl. It has served me well and would cut the cost of a custom bonding order.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

stitcher_guy

I've always laminated my own vinyl, even in marine work. The only time I get pre-foamed vinyl is when that is the stock order and I can't get normal, unbacked vinyl.

JuneC

I do the same for small bits.  It really depends on the quantity needed.  The last I had sent out to get laminated was 30 yards.  I didn't fancy doing that on my own.  Speaking of which, I just for the first time tried Camie 303 spray adhesive.  I'm hooked.  Good hold and wipes off the surface of vinyl with lube (CRC/WD40/etc). 
  http://www.camie.com/images/pdfs/303.pdf

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields