Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:14:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Presser feet out of alignment on Singer 111w155

Started by jojo, October 07, 2010, 03:42:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of mechanical help. My alternating presser feet are out of alignment, and as a result the machine binds. When I loosen the screw to adjust the inner foot, it drops down, and you can move it to whatever height you want to and then tighten the screw. Trouble is, I don't know where to move it. I've tried several different positions and some are better than others, but it still binds. Should I be adjusting the outer foot also? And how do you do that? I have the military manual from the tpub website, but am having trouble understanding the procedure.
I'm fairly certain that the machine is timed properly because despite the binding it does make a nice stitch.
Thanks in advance for any help!

lamx

The Singer Adjuster's Manual can be downloaded from
http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/111W152_153_154_155.pdf
perhaps the procedure in that manual will be more understandable.

Ed

jojo

Thanks, Ed...I have this manual also, and it is even more vague.
When I turn the screw that they say to turn, nothing happens...I think they left something out?
The total lift is ok...it's not the full 1/2" that is supposed to be the maximum for this machine, but it will suit my needs. It's just the way the feet interact with each other that I can't figure out. And I don't see a correlation between the foot height and the machine binding, but there definitely is a link there. If I set the inner foot too high, I can't turn the handwheel at all, but if it's low, I can turn the handwheel, but it still binds. But if it's too low, again I can't turn the handwheel all the way. It's driving me nuts!

JuneC

Sure you have a paired set of feet?  Has this set worked before?  What exactly is happening?  Do the feet hit each other?  If so, my first guess would be an unmatched set.  Can you post a pic of which screw on the inner foot you're using to adjust the height?  On mine, the screw used to attach the inner foot does not have anything to do with the height - it's screwed into a threaded hole. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

The feet are a mated set; it did work fine a couple of weeks ago. the trouble started when I fiddled with the screws on the feed eccentric (per the service manual) to try and get the presser foot to achieve the total lift of 1/2". I will post a pic of the screw(s) after work. The inner presser foot screw is pretty straightforward; as soon as you loosen the screw, the foot drops down and you can move it. It's a big screw at the top of the machine in the back, but i think the real trouble is that feed eccentric thing.

jojo

ok, my brother-in-law, who knows absolutely nothing about sewing machines, fixed it. I don't know what he did, and it's not totally back to normal, but it's good enough to finish my project.

Darren Henry

I'm glad all ends well,but you'd better find out what he fixed so you know what to tweak to get her back to normal. ;)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!