Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 08:04:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Back Drop Pattern or Not??

Started by Highvelocity, October 01, 2010, 08:31:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Ed is this the one? http://www.sailrite.com/Binder-3-4-Swing-Bracket
I use the same style but not swing away my machine have a easily removable top plate over my bobbin top load that i just slip on and off as neeeded. ive got a swing away 90º stlye that i hate. seems to have allot of drag for my tayste. i spent so much for it i cant seem to part with it though.

Highvelocity

Yes, that's the one.  Works good, very adjustable.  I spent alot for the stationary one it drags too much too...  Too much heat in the needle.
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Highvelocity

Mike,
     The pattern worked well.  It's hard to make the plastic tight, so we wound up taking in each side once we were able to put it up.  I put 5 hours into it on Sat and 3 more on Sunday and it's basically done with the exception of binding and snaps.  So I figure another 3-5 hours to get'er done.   

FYI for anyone doing a roll and snap, it works well, very time consuming getting the cut outs right around the aluminum though, so price accordingly.  Also, I have sewing machine where I am doing the work, I think I would have pulled some hair out if I didn't...lol

Can-Vas

Hey Ed;

Take some pics and show it off when you're done..

Howard
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Highvelocity

Here's a pic just after we put a seam in to tighten it up. 

Highvelocity

I did want you guys to think I forgot about the pics.  It took me a loong time to add the double fold around the perimeter, but the new binder works good, I need more seat time with it to get the turns better.  I will have it in place this weekend weather permitting. 

Mike, I was down to Fort Lauderdale this last weekend, I can see why you live down that way.  I would say with your talent and reputation you must do well, there is a so many boats down there, and big money.

Highvelocity

Here are some finished pictures.  Customer was very happy with the finished product which is always a good feeling.  As you can see the color is alot lighter inside, that is because I used Sunbrella PLUS.  All in all this was a great project.  I had 18 hours in the job with a part time helper.  Granted alot of that time was laying out the project.  The pattern consumed some time but saved material,  I did the whole job with 15 yards, 70 foot binding, plus snaps. 

JuneC

Looks really good.  How'd you like working with the Sunbrella plus?  That stuff is really heavy - and I'm guessing the 15 yards was not exactly lightweight.  Shoot, it would have been heavy in regular Sunbrella. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

Nice work. 8) Did your customer want the Sunbrella Plus? Usually I've only seen it and used it on tops. It's nice stuff to work with though.
Regal Canvas

Highvelocity

October 27, 2010, 07:29:31 am #24 Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:46:38 am by Highvelocity
I always offer all 3 types of Sunbrella just to cover myself, the customer thought the plus a good idea after I explained the differnces.  It is a heavy cover, Mike nailed it, he knew there was gonna be some sag, I wound up taking it in as much as possible without losing the shape I needed.  June or Regalman, have you ever worked with the "Super"?  I be that is tough.

Great project though, I got my Dad involved, and he loves a good project, so we got that father son time in...lol

I was saying to Mike, the pattern really helped save matierial but I think it's more realistic to use on Bimini's etc. if you are looking for and exact pattern.

Ed

Can-Vas

Yup,  turned out nice Ed.

I think it would have been a bummer to pattern with the Plus and have a big mistake...
(not that happens to any of us here....)    :o
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

PDQ

Nice one, Ed.

Suck that sucker in I say. Darted seams are your friend. :tup:

Highvelocity

Agreed, the DART was the way to go, looking at it I couldn't think of another way to get that slop out. 

I used these cheap spring clams from the Depot and started taking it in from the inside.  I had some help from the outside telling when it looked good, then with some chalk I marked the seam, cut n left a 1/2 inch seam allowance and sew'd her up.  I can't take the credit though, my Dad thought of the Dart 1st...LOL 

Mike8560

I've used that tuck Frick using clamps Ed before on large covers ws

Trouble le is you don't see bow the finnished cover is going to hand till it's done.

Highvelocity

Quote from: Mike8560 on October 28, 2010, 06:13:53 pm
I've used that tuck Frick using clamps Ed before on large covers ws

Trouble le is you don't see bow the finnished cover is going to hand till it's done.

Mike you are right on that, so what I did on this dart, I left it as a simple seam just in case I needed to take more in, then when we put it up and checked it, I locked it in with a top seam.