Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 06:02:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hidem Welt

Started by mpm32, September 29, 2010, 12:33:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mpm32

September 29, 2010, 12:33:49 pm Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:05:25 pm by mpm32
Hi, I'm new here and new to sewing upholstery and I am going to be redoing the interior of my 1978 Ski Nautique.  In some locations, I need to use Hidem welt to hide some staples on the seat.

I know you can buy the welt but I'm using a color vinyl that is not available in the premade hidem.

How do you go about making the hidem welt?  It sort of looks like a double welt with no cord in it with a stitch down the center of where each of the cords would be.

Mike8560

I'll make small amounts when I have to cut your vinyl to width. Open up  some premade I think it's like. 1 1/2" then fd it seam tape helps to hold it then see each side I wonder if there is a fold available. Thee must be  for the premade hydem.

Darren Henry

Call me a coward; but I'd go with a "accent coloured" factory hydem rather than trying to make my own if there was any more than just a couple of feet. Just too finicky and labour intensive.And that's if you don't get a little wobble or bobble and trash that piece.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BigJohn

Try this supplier that I came across:

http://www.quality-trim.com/

Big John

JuneC

I've made very short lengths, but I wouldn't recommend it.  It's VERY labor intensive, detailed sewing. 

For a 3/4" width finished product, cut a strip at 3 times that width - 2-1/4" (I think...  too late to do math tonight).  Make a light pencil mark with rub-out pencil on the underside of the vinyl right down the middle, lengthwise.  Double-fold each half till the folded edge touches the pencil mark and sew (with the right sides on the outside). 

Biggest problem with home-made hydem is that the vinyl you buy for seat covers is too thick.  The premade stuff is manufactured of "panel weight" vinyl.  I'd vote for Darren's suggestion and go with an accent color if you can't find anything the correct color.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

mpm32

Hmmm,  Well I know I won't find any premade in the color I'm looking for.  I'm having enough trouble finding the burnt orange color marine vinyl as it is.  The boat is from 1978 when burnt orange was all the rage.  I did find some and I'm having samples sent. 

I do see what you mean about the thickness of the seat weight vinyl in comparison to the thickness of the hidem that's on the boat now.

I'm wondering if there's any other technique I could use other than the hidem.  The seatbacks are just a panel stapled to the edge of the plywood seat back and the seat fronts are stapled over that on the same edge.  Covering the staples is the issue.

JuneC

I'd be really tempted to trim the seats in black.  Might look kool with burnt orange.  But, not to have that be the ONLY black trim.  Maybe black welt on some of the seams?  You could always redesign the covers and make them like car seat covers, completely sewn like a bag you pull down over the seat and staple underneath where they're not seen. 

June

W. C. Fields

Peppy

Quote from: Darren Henry on September 29, 2010, 05:45:35 pm
Call me a coward

Your a coward.

I was on a boat today that had pre-made hideum on the outside backs. And it was all cracked, and brittle, and faded, and really; you can make a lot of hideum in a 1/2 hour. I think the pre-made stuff is such junk I only use it on the cheapest, mass-produced jobs. Am I using the wrong stuff?

I much prefer matching welt even with a few speed wobbles in the stitching. Actually I prefer ss screws and cup washers over hideum, but thats something else entirely. But I totally understand the hatred for making it. I am 'welt boy' at the shop (it's not as kinky as it sounds)
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

JuneC

Quote from: Peppy on September 30, 2010, 05:10:04 pm
Am I using the wrong stuff?

Probably...  My canvas supplier carries what he calls hydem.  Crap, that's what it is.  It get brittle in a heartbeat and then cracks and falls apart.  Try the hydem from Keyston.  It'll give you 3 years, at least.  Very nice, and at $15 or so a spool, a real value.

June

W. C. Fields

mpm32

Peppy,  Have you made Hidem with seat weight vinyl before?  Will I have any issues like JuneC suggested I might have with the heavier weight material?

I guess I just need to give it a try, I have no rush to get this done.  I have until water ski season starts again in the spring.

Darren Henry

If you are going to go for it; using spray glue on your first fold will make it easier for you. I do this with my cushion zippers as well. With that perfect 1/2" fold already there,all I have to worry about is lining up on the centre of the teeth and matching any stripes etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

I was thinking like June try eliminating it all together. If it's on the doghouse
I've stapled the vinyl on with a  thin tackstrip then  glue 1/4" foam over the box and pull the vinyl back over the staples.  Or maybe 6" of bound carpet at the bottom.
Do you have a photo of where you need the hydem

Peppy

Quote from: mpm32 on October 01, 2010, 05:34:27 am
Peppy,  Have you made Hidem with seat weight vinyl before?  Will I have any issues like JuneC suggested I might have with the heavier weight material?

I guess I just need to give it a try, I have no rush to get this done.  I have until water ski season starts again in the spring.

Yes. Even with Winter Fun. And yes, June is correct, making hideum sucks. Your bound to get 'the claw' after a bit. But it's never like you'll need miles of the stuff. This is upholstery, I only really enjoy about 1/3rd of the work involved. The other 2/3rds you sit down and pound out. The faster your done them the faster you can get back to the fun stuff.

We cut ours 3" with a line down the center and do the double fold thing the same. I've never used it but I bet that spray glue would help lots. Or else like Mike, I'm always up for a little redesign.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering