Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:08:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Not Enough Space Under The Presser Foot

Started by jojo, September 28, 2010, 07:46:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi,
I have a very old Singer 111w155, and there should be 1/2" under the presser foot, but there is barely 1/4"! Can anyone tell me how to adjust this? Thanks!

jojo

I should mention that I've tried the method in the manual, but I don't know which screw is which on the feeding eccentric. there are three: one is an allen type set screw, the other two are flathead screws, but one of those has to be turned clockwise to loosen it. Very confusing.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Are you using the knee lifer?  Hand lever is 11/32"

Knee lifter is just over 1/2" or so ( can't remember).

Way to check is to use the lever on the back of the arm to lift the feet, and see what you get there.  Keep in mind no matter what, the lift with correctly adjusted knee lifter is going to be higher.

jojo

The knee lift is broken, so I was using the lever. Thanks for the advice; was going crazy trying to figure out how to get 1/2". Now I have to try to undo all the crazy stuff I did trying to figure it out and focus on getting the knee lift to work.
Thank you!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: jojo on September 28, 2010, 04:54:21 pm
The knee lift is broken, so I was using the lever. Thanks for the advice; was going crazy trying to figure out how to get 1/2". Now I have to try to undo all the crazy stuff I did trying to figure it out and focus on getting the knee lift to work.
Thank you!

Of course, any time.  I do have new knee lifters if you need one.  Knee lifters and drip pans for 111W or similar are always a pain in the butt to setup, so don't feel inept.

jojo

ok, so the new assembly is installed (thanks, btw), but still can't get 1/2"!! I can't tell where it's hanging up...any ideas, gregg?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Usually if the lever on the back is lifting higher than the knee lifter, it is the knee lifter.

It's really hard without seeing it.  I will say again...those 111w style knee lifers are never easy.