Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 02:59:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

In need a of a good used commercial machine

Started by n01945, September 24, 2010, 10:30:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

n01945

Hi - I live in Mass and need to buy a used walking foot machine. Does anyone know any reputable sellers/servicers in the New Eng area?
Also, I have an old Singer 241-13 and someone told me I could use light-weight motor oil in it instead of sewing machine oil - is this true? Tad nervous about this one...
Thanks!
Nora

SHHR

There are good reputable dealers on this forum that will ship you could check out. Another option would be craigslist, but you usually are at the mercy of the person selling the machine on their honest description of it. I'd caution on using motor oil. It will do it's job very well for lubrication, but if it gets on your material will stain it. Good machine oil is clear and will not stain a fabric.
Kyle

n01945

Looking on I'd rather be safe than sorry w/the clear oil too. I'll stick with it.

Mike8560

When I was in NH the best place I found localy was Sanford Sewing in Sanford Maine.
Too bAd your so far I've got a good singer 111w155 I'd like to sell

bobbin

Reliable Sewing Machine (Stoughton, I think); they're OK but nothing great, IMO.
Sloan Machinery (North Shore area).  Tons of used stuff.
Sanford Sewing Machine (Sanford, Me.); I no longer use them.   

Stick with the oil recommended for sewing machines, that's what it's for!

Darren Henry

Quotesomeone told me I could use light-weight motor oil in it instead of sewing machine oil - is this true? Tad nervous about this one...

I certainly wouldn't. Engine oil contains a host of detergents and additives that your engine requires but that will gum up  in your machine. If you can't get to the notions department at wally world or zellars use baby oil. My old master used to prefer it to sewing machine oil. He claimed that when he was working in the factories he found out that they were the same product and you were only paying extra for the packaging. next on my depth chart would be 3 in 1 oil.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

241- uses a resivor with pump, auto lube.  Use stainless sewing oil, anybody already mentioned and myself included will have this.