Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 08:53:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing Technology Marches On!

Started by baileyuph, September 20, 2010, 05:25:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

September 20, 2010, 05:25:17 am Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:43:50 am by DB
Having been in the upholstery business many years I find myself reflecting on the changes in the manufacturing technology.  For example, La-Z-Boy chairs.

Years ago the equipment used in small custom shops (like mine) pretty much paralleled what the manufacturers used.  Reeling forward in time, to day, we essentially use the same or almost same equipment we did years ago.  This isn't true for the furniture manufacturers, more specifically La-Z-Boy today or even La-Z-Boy recliners made some 20 years ago.

Further, I just redid two La-Z-Boy recliners that were approximately 20 years ago.  

These chairs has considerable gathering of the covering fabric in the seams of the back rest, around the arm caps, and the drop down apron that extends from the footrest up to the bottom cushion.  Yes, gathers all along these seams.

I am familiar with differential feed capability on machines and these gathers were so systematic, it is obvious that capability did the gathering before the seams, mentioned above, were made.

Further, in past discussions here, upholsters have commented on their techniques to emualate the gathered look.  Some sew a low tension seam and pull one of the threads to do the gathering.  That will gather the material.  Some will mark registrations, as intervals, that are used to induce fullness in seams.

My real point of delivery here is I have and did attempt these tricks to achieve fullness with some success but there are different issues in the type of work on these recliners.  Some times when joining two layers one layer is not gathered while the other layer is.  Then, sometimes the requirement is to gather both seams (which gets more complicated), then there is the added requirement to both gathered, where the gathers have to be done at distances accuracies which meet cushion cover length, and width specifications.  Those who have immersed themselves into this type work will understand what is being said and the associated challenges.

I don't do many of these chairs because of the price of new cheaply made recliners (need more be said  ;).  However, there are a few who want them done and are willing to pay because of their superior construction and preferred smaller style.

The major point here, if there is one  ;D, is to ask if there are any techniques for doing this type work with the equipment we typically have in our small custom business today? Something that maybe adds to what has been aluded to above.?

It is one challenge to run a loose stitch and drawstring a gather but another to do it on examples cited above where the situation sometimes requires:
    One layer only gathered
    Two or both layers gathered (at even fullness)
    Then one or both of the above situations incorporated into a fitted covered.

As you might "gather", that is my story.   ;)

Am I the only one doing this type of stuff?  Surely not, if not you will probably agree it is -NOT - all you do is "just"!.  

Any tips?  (Except go differential feed and hook a computer to it like La-Z-Boy has done?)

Doyle

Rich

Hi Doyle,
I have found the easiest way to gather seams is to use elastic. I have a machine dedicated to this use with an attachment, but I use it for other purposes. If you have an attachment that you can set up and take down easily, you can use it to do both pcs. of fabric at the same time when you want that look, or just do one fabric edge and not the other. If you have no attachment, then apply a steady pull on the elastic as you sew it on top (or bottom) of the fabric edge. You don't have to wrap it around the fabric edge, laying flat on one side does the trick.The benefit of the attachment is that is will apply a constant, uniform stretch to the elastic. The finished look is just like what the factory is doing.
And yes, I agree with you about being very particular with this type of work. I always start off any conversation with a customer who would like to have a recliner with a rough comparison of the costs. They'd really have to be in love with their old recliner to want me to reupholster it.
Rich
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Cheryl

Elastic seams and charge more.  Which you already  do.

I can't see having a set up for this type of technique unless you do it aLOT.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

sofadoc

Like Rich, I use elastic. I don't have any special attachment, though.
Like both of you, I explain to the customer that the job may not be cost effective if price is their only concern.
20 years ago, I was doing over 50 La-Z-Boys a year. Now I do less than 20 of them.
In terms of quality, La-Z-Boy used to be head and shoulders above the other brands. But the other brands got a little better, while La-Z-boy got a lot worse. Now, they've all kinda met in the middle.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scott_san_diego

Like the other two said, I also use elastic when gathering is needed.  It really doesn't add that much more to time to sew on the elastic.

bobbin

What size elastic do you guys use when you're using it to achieve and even gather? my guess would be 1/2" but maybe you prefer something narrower?  And I think that's a very clever way of dealing with gathering, BTW!

Doyle, I was thinking about your well-written post while painting fence posts.  I have a 5 thread overlock machine that has differential feed capacity.  I've used the feed adjustment to make fabrics like polar fleece feed more evenly.   And I've always wondered about using it to achieve a more evenly shirred effect with sheer fabrics (think frothy, "girlie" window treatments like Austrian shades).  The machine is very fast and I bought it set up to work on heavy denims, so I bet it would work for upholstery weight fabrics with no trouble, perhaps requiring a few tweaks.  I want to make sheer shades for my workroom and I should "get busy" playing around with it and see what comes of the effort. 

Interesting post. 

SHHR

Ditto on the elastic, I use 1/4 or 3/8" heavy duty purpose.
Kyle

Joys Shop

sometimes I use elastic

sometimes I zigzag over a string, and pull the string

the string is the weight used for balloons (is that the same for kites?)

I use a verrrrrry narrow zigzag.  It is just wide enough to go over the string
The string is knotted at the begining of the seam and
the left side of the zigzag stitch will be at the seam line (all the stitch and string is in the seam allowance)

Then I pull the string to the length I want the seam to be
Works great

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on September 20, 2010, 10:00:04 am
What size elastic do you guys use when you're using it to achieve and even gather? my guess would be 1/2" but maybe you prefer something narrower?   

I usually just wait until my Fruit of the Looms are wore out, and save the elastic :D
If it's a rush job, I have to "go commando" for the rest of the day!

bobbin

Lol, but how much "pop" in left in worn out skivvies, Sofa.?

sofadoc

According to my wife, my skivvies haven't had much "pop" in YEARS!!
(Double entendre) ;)

baileyuph

Good turnout on using elastic and I am also included in that group.

The width, the question was raised,  I use is a function of upholstery material weight and to a degree on how much differential in the gathering.  Lighter weight fabrics would gather easily with 3/8 or 1/4 inch width elastic.

I was rather impressed with Joy's technique of zig zagging over a cord.  Joy is there a preference for that over elastic?  I believe it would be centered primarily around non systematic gathering requirements and avoidance of bulk.  Non systematic gathering requirements, for example, are when it is desireable to vary the degree of gathering along a seam.  It happens as I encountered that with the previous La-Z-Boy recliners, done last week.  Regarding the bulk, I am assuming the cord is less bulk in the seam than elastic?

And Bobbin,
I believe your right on to serge and the reason is synthetic fabrics we use today seem to ravel much easier than in the past. They sure ravel, even the mere handling during sewing encourages raveling.  Further, since you have the differential feed, why wouldn't that make the gathering a one step operation which includes serging to counter raveling?  I think so.

Good comments, anyone else?

Doyle

Joys Shop

I find that I have much more control over the gathering when I use string

I can gather as much as I want, and as little as I want
and where I want

The gathering stays put while I sew seams together

I have a LOT less bulk than with elastic

the string is also a faster technique

baileyuph

String size Joy, less than our typical nylon button twine?  It is much smaller isn't it?  Maybe the size used in handstitching hair to burlap in the old days?

Something equivalent to that sewn, or serged, fairly tight but loose enough to slip the fabric is easy to envision as a facilitating technique.

Doyle

Joys Shop

yes
the string is smaller than button twine