Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:10:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Clear Tenara

Started by Mojo, August 21, 2010, 04:55:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

There were a couple of you ( June in particular ) that were going to switch to using clear Tenara. I was wondering if anyone has made the switch or if anyone has any experience stitching with the clear Tenara.

My specific questions are -

* Is the clear blending well into the darker color fabrics ?

* What size thread are you using for Marine applications ?

* Any feed problems with your machine using the lubricated Tenara ?

I am going to go with Tenara on all of my awnings but do not want to stock colors. I would rather go
with the clear and be able to call it good. But I am a little worried about using clear with dark colors such as maroon, black, etc.

Thanks for your input,

Chris

JuneC

It's pretty white stuff.  Not really clear like monofilament fishing line.  Whether or not it'll stay that way after a few months in the sun I don't know.  I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. 

As for machine feed, the bobbin tension is the same as 92 polyester.  The top tension has to be tightened down a LOT.  And that changes from one section of sewing to the next.  When sewing thick sections (double fold binding on double layer) the tension needs to be tighter than on sewing two single layers.  That may be my machine/needle - I don't know yet.  I'm still working on figuring it out.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

August 21, 2010, 09:39:22 am #2 Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:41:05 am by Mojo
Thanks June.

So your saying the clear looks white ? Dang that isn't good for maroon canvas. They touted the clear as getting lost in the fabric and picking up the color of the fabric. Does it stick out like a sore thumb then ?

Any idea as to who has the cheapest prices on Tenera ? Miami doesn't carry it. Sail Rite's price is $ 130 for 8 ounces.

Just curious, what kind of thread were you using before ?

Chris

RiCat

I just started using a PTFE thread called SolarFix from Keystone Bros. It comes in 4 colors - satin white, white, black and clear. It also comes in 3 sizes - light, medium and heavy weight - the medium being compatible to a 92 size thread. There is 1125 yds of thread on an 8oz cone (which is great for pricing). An 8oz cone cost $83.50. I have a cone of clear and I just got done doing some combing pads on a 35' Donzi using the thread. The colors were white, yellow and navy blue. I found the clear to work ok on the yellow and white but like June, it showed up white on dark colors. It worked ok on my Juki. I am going to keep clear for light to medium colors and have black for darker colors.

Rick

Eric

I use both clear and black. The clear will, to a point take on the color of the sunbrella, for maroon clear would probably be fine. I use 92, 1/2 pound at trivantage I believe is $90.00.
Eric

Can-Vas

I've used it for several years.  I use clear for light colours and black for darker like navy, etc.
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

JuneC

I'll take some pics and post them.  I just used the clear on a silver/sapphire cover for a 28 Formula.  On the silver it disappears.  On the sapphire it looks white. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

ive npt seen any color change to the TR looking prety white June and Chriss using the tr 92 also I dont hve any trouble going from acrylic to tenaara wit my settings. I just swap the spools winding the bobbins is a PIA for me. >:(

rustyeod

I use clear alot and like it but have not noticed it "blending" with the darker colors.  One thing about the clear is that it has an oily feel and that sort of slows the buildup of glue from double stick tape on my bobbin and hook assembly.  The black Tenara does not have any oil in it and the buildup is much more noticeable.
I am building a dodger right now and using the black Solar-Fix and really cant see a difference between it and Tenara. 

Mojo

The Solarfix and Tenara are both PTFE threads with the same warranty.

I just ordered a lb of Solarfix black in size 2000. I may end up ordering another spool of clear though.

At $ 155 per spool I will surely not be ordering all their colors. :) Miami Mike has some good deals on the
Solarfix.

Chris

JuneC

There's one thing I really like about the mono Tenara - it doesn't get dirty.  I hate new canvas/cushions where you can clean the vinyl or fabric, but the thread stays gray.  And you can't use bleach unless you want the thread to rot prematurely.

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

I just used tenara clear today on some huricane screen doing some alteration for a local buisness owner friend and I had alot of snarls on my bobbin side till i scitched maching to my juki. must have been a tention setting.

Mojo

I got the Solarfix and wound some bobbins today. I was really curious to see how much adjustment I would have to make to the tension settings.

Amazingly I had to make no adjustments to the upper tension. The bobbin I had to make one tiny adjustment. I keep some scrap clear vinyl around to use for testing and the stitch looked great.

I was a little scared because of the stories I have heard about issues with Tenera and tension. Turns out great.

I do not know what the deal is with my machine but ever since I got it I have yet to have to adjust upper tension. I always get great stitches regardless of the size thread I use. ( Mind you I am not complaining ). :)

Chris