Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:29:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Detroit Auto Body Cloth Availability?

Started by baileyuph, September 03, 2010, 06:09:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

During the last five years, it has been noted these materials were not available for vehicles still rather new.  For example vehicles less than three year old. 

Yesterday, I needed cloth for a Chevy HHR.  Detroit indicated it was not available.  This, like I intimated, is happening more frequently.  These are domestic cars by the way.

Anyone got their hand on the pulse of this situation?  Is it simply, manufacturers of the cars are having the mills produce just about what they need for the model year?  In the past, I was told that what us shops buy is residual cloth from the production years.  Like I said, there is little to none of that left over supply to meet the aftermarket needs.

Maybe input from Miami Mike or Dubois could clarify what is going on in the aftermarket body cloth supplies? 

I suppose another option is, some large buyer is buying it all up for future markets?  I just don't know, one thing for sure is why buy the Detroit body original sample books if none of the materials are going to be available. 

My vent or rant for the day.   ;)

Doyle

mike802

That's a good point Doyle and the main reason I stopped buying them years ago.  Most of the customers in my area are looking to get a repair at a low cost and really do not care if the match is perfect.  And with dye lots being what they are, the fading over the years and ground in dirt we cant guarantee that even with the original cloth.  For my customers close is good enough and if the whole seat, or interior is being redone it is even less of an a issue.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

SHHR

Just ran into that problem this week. I was at my supplier picking up some items, so I took my wifes 03 Expedition since there's a small tear in the driver seat bolster that bugs me. After matching up the material from the Detroit book they said they would have to call for availability.... Out of stock and no longer made was the answer. I'm sure I could find it if I took the time to run it down or find a wreck with a good peice of material. I'm gonna use it as an excuse to put it in the shop this fall or winter and do something custom to it.
Kyle

stitcher_guy

I'm still on Miami's list to get the new Detroit Book every year. Like has been said, many of my customers just want a close match and don't really mind. But, I also do repairs for three or four local dealerships, and have connections that get me work through other dealerships all over the state. They are doing repairs on cars that are only a few years old. The material that is hard to get is the insert/patterned material. I think it is like has been said, they only are making to what is needed.

LOL, part of the reason I still get the book, I think, is because I have a complete set dating back to 1982 (except for 94 and 95), and I would feel strange skipping a year.

ahkahn

Yep, our Detroit books go back to 1961 (and prior to that we've got books into the late 40's).  We sell the books too.  Their inventory comes and goes, so what they don't have today they may have tomorrow.  Unfortunately it's hard for a customer to wait.  Generally the vinyls can be matched though. 

-Andrew

chevman57

Doyle i hear your frustration and understand. I have started telling my customers the best i can do is to check on the material since it has been difficult to find some after only 5yrs old. Around here trucks are king and i have been trying to buy extra material when i do find and order some. Trucks are typically used for work and are entered and exited countless times in one day so they all need the outer edge repaired.
I started buying the detroit books every other year about 8yrs ago.
Terry