Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:39:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Consew 206RB-2 / puckering

Started by robinpa, September 04, 2010, 11:05:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

robinpa

I purchased this machine refurbished from a dealer in PA about a year ago. 

I wish that I'd have gone with a servo motor, if only because of how loud this one tends to be.  It took a bit of practice to get the machine to sew at less than warp speed :).  That's all good now.

I've never been quite able to resolve the puckering issue. Sure If I put tension on what I'm sewing from behind and in front of the needle, it nearly resolves.  Or if I'm sewing multiple layers of vinyl/leather.  What I work on most frequently is boxed corded cushions, it's just not feasible to tug on what i'm sewing from behind ALL the time when sewing such things.  I've played with both the upper and bobbin tension to no avail.  I even had a mechanic here to look at it from the dealership the second day I had the machine and was left with basically, "yeah this machine does better with really heavy fabric and just keep the tension on it with your hands."

The puckering is bad enough that I feel the end product is unacceptable, and I'm not using the machine. 

Any thoughts.

It also wobbles like crazy at anything above a moderate speed.  I think my table may not be level from when I adjusted the height.  I need to buy a level!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any support/suggestions

peace and light,

Rob

MinUph

I bought a new 205R and it did the same thing. I had to adjust the tensions way down and it solved the problem. Try making your bobbin tension very light almost to the point of the screw falling out then adjust to top to match. I suppose it might be the foot pressure on yours. I do know using a smaller needed size also helped mine also on normal fabrics like normal upholstery weight. I am using a 120 now. I think that is equal to 200 25.
  I don't know how much it matters if the table is level as long as all the legs are on the floor. If it wobbles sitting there that would not be good. If the table is stable it really shouldn't wobble under use.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

robinpa

Thanks!  I'd never considered presser foot pressure.  I've not figured out how to do that and I'm wondering do you think the puckering is from too much pressure or too little?

r

fragged8

hiya

I've had puckering problems in the past, you might want to search back through the posts,

basically puckering can be cause by many things but after my experience number 1 is tension
especially if the bobbin thread is too tight then your top thread will also be too tight so go back to basics
with the tensions.80% of machine problems can be traced back to tensions.

number 2 is the weave direction of the material, try sewing the material in a different
direction to the weave of the material and see if that helps ?

on Acrylic canvas i would cut for example two 10 ft lengths of material off a roll and
place them face to face, then sew along the outer edge to join then top stitch and
the puckers were real bad !!

take the same material and turn one of those lengths 90 degrees to the other and sew together
then top stitch and no puckers !!!

I know you're going to say you would end up with an 'L' shaped piece of material and you'd be right
but I couldn't think of an easier way of explaining it  :-)

Rich

JuneC

What is the fabric?  Some machines just don't handle lightweight fabrics well and the 206RB might just be one of them. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

robinpa

WOW.  After almost a year of struggling with this issue, I've made MILES of progress in 24 hours.  Many Thanks!  I've gone way back on the foot pressure and this had made all the difference in the world!  Nearly a perfectly flat seam :)

rob

sofadoc

Quote from: robinpa on September 05, 2010, 11:02:29 am
I've gone way back on the foot pressure and this had made all the difference in the world!  Nearly a perfectly flat seam

I'm a little suprised to hear that adjusting the foot pressure made such a difference. On my Juki LU 1508, I've screwed that adjustment all the way in both directions, and can't tell much difference. Many moons ago, I got into the habit of gently pulling the fabric from behind as I sew. It's become so "second nature" to me, that I do it even when I don't need to.
Glad it worked out for you! 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Pressure feed and feed dogs should be selected for the materials being sewn.

A service shop should be able to show the different types and explain what they are best suited for.

Another explanation is the machine type is important but setting it up for a specific job is or could be equally important.

Glad you are having improvment with the machine,

Doyle

fragged8

hiya

If you see an improvement by slacking off the foot tension you might be getting an uneven feed between the foot and the feed dog.

it could be worth just checking the feed timing, couldn't hurt.

rich

robinpa

Quote from: fragged8 on September 07, 2010, 02:26:19 pm
hiya

If you see an improvement by slacking off the foot tension you might be getting an uneven feed between the foot and the feed dog.

it could be worth just checking the feed timing, couldn't hurt.

rich

Thanks Rich, It's something i'd like to be able to check and learn how to adjust.  I'm not having any luck finding in instructions on how to do so.  The manual that I've got is VERY basic.

rob

fragged8

hiya

Are you far from Ohio ?  I know northcoast do a machine maintenance course
if you are sewing a lot it's worth the money .

Rich

robinpa

Rich, I'm in Harrisburg, PA about 8 hours from Northcoast. 

In other news, i've discovered the source of the wobble.  Forgive my use/misuse of terms.  The rod that stick out of the  motor, shaft i guess, is bent and causing the pulley to spin in i guess what would best be described as an elliptical fashion.  Annoying as all get out.  Can that be replaced.  The motor is VERY VERY loud.  I'd like a servo anyway.  Convince based on my reading the I want the one from Gregg at Keystone.  Just a matter of finances at this point.

rob

Allan

I know from repairing boat sails that incorrect needle and too thick a thread will cause puckering

Allan