Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 01, 2024, 12:18:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Telescoping bimini support poles

Started by JuneC, September 02, 2010, 07:15:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Anyone know what's required to make telescoping bimini poles?  I don't do frame work, but might just have to start (or hire a canvas shop to do it for me  :-[ )  I'm wondering if 1" ss tube will permit 7/8" ss tube to telescope inside.  I'm thinking not.  But I'd also guess 1.25" tube would be too big.  I'll also need to drill holes for push-buttons I guess.  I doubt the plastic adjustable fitting like you'd find on tent poles would be strong enough to hold the top up.  Anyone one to make me a set? 

I've seen the Taylor poles on the internet and they get terrible reviews for being flimsy. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

June....you can use 1" diameter, but the thinner wall (I believe it's .055). Then the 7/8" tube will fit inside of it.
Regal Canvas

Mike8560

Yes my troble is finding thin walled 1". None of mine have it. 
Like who would want thin weaker 1" anyway if not  to do this?
Sea rays do this all the time and it is nice for installing a nice tight top.
Slide it on then pull down the frame and click it in place. 

JuneC

Thanks guys.  I think I might just add short poles to the aft section of the frame.  The objective is to have a way to lower the bimini for storage (lower cost for in-out rack storage), but not have it all the way down because it rests on the canvas cover and creates a pool.  Maybe some 12-15" add-ons with quick release hinges would do the trick.  Anyone have other suggestions?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

june that is how hurricane deck boats do it they have a small 6" leg but they add a jaw slide to hold the long leg firm to the bimini frame then the little leg if off of the rear support leg. ill see if i can find a pic if needed.