Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:10:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

If not Quickbooks, what?

Started by bobbin, August 25, 2010, 12:55:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

The whole Quickbooks thing has gotten me thinking (smell wood burning?).  If you don't wish to purchase Quickbooks and then step onto the treadmill of yearly updates that ultimately end in the purchase of the "new and improved" version for $X every so many years, what's your option?

I know how to deal with a paper ledger but common sense tells me there is something out there that will run on a computer, be relatively simple to use, and not require the repurchase of a "master system" every few years. 

Are Quickbook updates regular parts of an accountant's service?

mike802

I am running the 07 version of Quick Books.  One feature I liked was I could e-mail invoices directly from Quick Books.  They wanted me to update and said I would no longer be able to e-mail my invoices unless I up dated.  I looked into updating and it was going to cost me 400.00 bucks.  I decided not to, I can just print the invoice, scan it, save it in my pictures, write an e-mail and attach the invoice myself.  A little extra work, but for the amount I do it it's no big deal.  I would still be using my 1998 version if my computer did not crash.  Just make sure you save the activation codes, so if you crash you can reload and still use the program.  One of these days I am going to have a computer that stays off line, it's the dam virus's, add and spy wear that keep crashing my computer, despite all the save guards I have in place.   Really no need to update, just make sure you back up every time you are prompted to do so, even daily if you feel it is necessary.  Use a cd, do not up date onto your hard drive.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

I just wanted to let you guys know that I finally pulled the trigger on book keeping software.  I've spoken at length with a couple of people who work in accounting and have listened to their criticism of Quickbooks and Intuit in general. 

I purchased Sage Peachtree Pro Accounting 2011 (used) from Amazon for $30 delivered. 

I'll let you know how it works out (if it does, lol).  The whole yearly update thing with Quickbooks  pissed me off.  I loathe planned obsolescence. 

MinUph

bobbin,
  I hope your happy with Peachtree. I used it before Qbooks came out and was overwhelmed at its complexity. I am extremely computer literate also. Maybe they have made it better through the years. I  have head many accountants use Peachtree and this is probably the reasoning behind their negative comments. Paying for a piece of software to run your business easily is not a bad investment in my mind. I upgrade every few years. I don't pay anywhere near $400.00 for it maybe 150.
  Good luck.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

mike802

Quotenot require the repurchase of a "master system" every few years

Like I stated above I have not up dated, ever.  I have no need to because what I have works great.  Up dating is usually just to sell different feathers.  I hope peachtree works out for you, I know someone who said their business out grew it rather quickly, never used it myself.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln

mike802

Hey Paul: How do you get that little blue website text on the bottom of your post?

gene

March 10, 2011, 07:02:12 am #6 Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:04:41 am by gene
I think Peachtree would be second choice, but I don't know of any reason that a small business person would want Peachtree instead of QB?

You only need yearly updates if you are doing payroll and using QB's payroll service. They auto download the tax tables. I think someone on here, Stephen maybe, is still using QB 2000???

Hey Mike,

I have QB 2006. I dont' use payroll and I don't have any online banking services. I had no need to upgrade either. QB runs email through their software just to try to get you to upgrade.

You said, "I can just print the invoice, scan it, save it in my pictures, write an e-mail and attach the invoice myself."

I go to FILE, click on Save as PDF, type a name for the file and where to save it. Then I go to my email and attach the PDF file and send it to my customers. This can save you a few steps and I have never had a customer complain that they could not open a PDF file.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Seems like it's only ever been Peachtree or Quickbooks.

We've been satisfied Quickbooks users for at least 12 years, and have upgraded products about two times.  It's not an annual thing. 

And, as stated, being able to email documents in .pdf format direct is a huge deal for us, so I understand that concern.  The new updates, IMO, as far as software goes and prices are fairly reasonable, IMO. 

I've ONLY know Quickbooks, and have never used Peachtree, although I did a lot of research during our startup 12 years ago.

I always thought that Quickbooks was considered to be more user friendly than Peachtree, but that may be literally decade old info.  So I am interested to see a real world Peachtree review.

Dede

I'm a using a homemade Frankenstein of a system, cobbled together from four different programs.  Outright (www.outright.com) looks interesting...
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

MinUph

Microsoft also offers a free version of their accounting software. Don't remember the name but if there is interest I will look into it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Quote from: mike802 on March 10, 2011, 06:30:38 am
Hey Paul: How do you get that little blue website text on the bottom of your post?

It is part of my signature. the code is...
Website

You can add a signature to all your messages in your forum settings.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

mike802

QuoteI go to FILE, click on Save as PDF, type a name for the file and where to save it. Then I go to my email and attach the PDF file and send it to my customers. This can save you a few steps and I have never had a customer complain that they could not open a PDF file.

QuoteIt is part of my signature. the code is...
Website

You can add a signature to all your messages in your forum settings.

Thanks guys

bobbin

A friend of mine is in charge of the book keeping for a fairly large local business and he uses Peachtree.  He recommended it highly and since he's going to give me a hand setting up the system I figured I'd give his choice a serious look.  I did a fair amount of digging and found many detractors for Quickbooks.  It wasn't that the program wasn't effective and easy to use, it had more to do with the heavy handed control wielded by Intuit and the lack of response to problems frequently encountered by users; not the least of which was the planned obsolescence of many features requiring yearly "upgrades" or additional fees.  Take a read of the review of Quickbooks on Amazon and the self-congratulatory responses by the Intuit team.  No thanks. 

I have had both Financial and Managerial Accounting in my "college experience" so I am not unfamiliar with the basics.  Everything I've read about Peachtree is that it's very straightforward and easy to navigate.  Clearly, for my podunk business I won't need all the features, but what I like about it is the ability to add to my own system if I need/want to. 

I will give you my honest feedback after I've had a chance to play with the program.  My goal is to basically run my business without a lot of paper.  I want to bank on-line, deal with quarterly taxes on-line, order on-line, bill on-line, etc..  I watch my boss duplicate effort at every turn and see the time it wastes; I'm not interested in following that model for myself.  These are lofty goals I've set, but setting up a good, solid book keeping system is the way to get off to a flying start, at least I hope so!

bobbin

OK, with the assistance of my book keeper friend Peachtree is now loaded into my computer, I'm up to speed with the external hard drive, and I'm feeling my way around the features of the program.  It seems pretty straightforward, and much of my confusion has more to do with a general discomfort about navigating its features with confidence than it being geared toward a professional. 

My eyes were beginning to glaze over after a couple of hours and we wisely decided to call it quits for the day.  My next mission is to get the wireless printer hooked up and get up to speed on that.  All of this has frequently been an exercise in frustration for me, but in spite of it I keep plugging along and bit by bit the pieces are beginning to fall into place.  But I still wonder if I'll ever "get it" fully, lol. 

mike802

QuoteI will give you my honest feedback after I've had a chance to play with the program.  My goal is to basically run my business without a lot of paper.  I want to bank on-line, deal with quarterly taxes on-line, order on-line, bill on-line, etc..  I watch my boss duplicate effort at every turn and see the time it wastes; I'm not interested in following that model for myself.

Bobbin:  It may look like a wast of time to you, but your boss just may be doing that out of experience, a bad experience.  I am old enough to remember when computers first came out, they were toted as the "new paperless office"  yea right.  I back everything up on paper, estimates, invoice, even emails are printed and filed, everything especially checking.  This has saved my A## numbers times, after my computer crashed a couple of times and all records were lost I decided never again to trust electronic data storage, my old floppy's have become obsolete and they just loose stuff after a while and Cd's are easily corrupted.  I just hate it when a decorator says they told me such and such, I don't have to argue, I just go to my file cabinet and pull the email.  IMO on line banking is to insecure, hackers always find ways around firewalls and such, so I just don't do it.  The Gov, the IRS can easily block your accounts and even if they make a mistake and you are innocent it can ruin your business and reputation, with things going the way they are in the good ol USA I keep most of my money at home and only have enough in the bank for shoe string operations.