Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 08:07:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Competition From China

Started by Mojo, August 23, 2010, 04:09:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Quote from: gene on August 24, 2010, 05:12:52 am

My concern is that China will start picking up peoples' furniture, cars, RV's, and boats, then shipping it to China, reupholstering it there, then shipping it back to the customer here in the USA, for less money than what we would need to charge just to break even. This would be a bummer!

Gene

Gene:

I believe this is already going on with Mexico. I have heard of people taking their cars, RV's and boats to Mexico to have them upholstered.

Of course they get them back and discover that under that awesome stitching job is straw, hay, wadded up newspapers and God knows what else that is used for stuffing. :)

Chris

mike802

Chris:  I looked into making tire covers awhile back but didn't have the demand.  You on the other hand have that market.  I know we cant compete with China on price, but they cant compete with us on quality.  When I was looking into it, I was considering having patterns made from hardboard or something similar in all the popular sizes.  Then it's just a matter of trace cut and sew. should be able to put a pair together in under an hour.  Still more expensive than china, but maybe affordable for someone who wants quality.  I always stress that what I make will out last Chinese goods and because of that is actually cheaper in the long run.  Of course we will always loose those who shop on price alone, but they are not really our customers anyway.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mike8560

Ive often refereed a person to buy a grill cover in place of a custome sunbrella leaning post dose the job and cost chepo. of course it isnt going to last long and then the cudstomer ewill come back for a real one when they have saved up. or also told them to buy premade back to backs and let me upholster the jum seats and coaming pads to match.
speaking of Chineese. my neight across the canal from e f a chineese guy or oriental  ::) any way ill be out back working  and then this smell comes over my way you know the  smell its just like a chineese resteraunt over there  :D

SHHR

Ok I just got to throw this in. Theres a little hole in the wall spot just outside of town where I live named China (probably a small town 100 years ago). Anyway if I move my shop there could I say all of my work is made in China :D
Kyle

gene

Hey Kyle,

Quality from China? Not a bad idea.

I count it a wonderful compliment in that I have had a number of Interior Designers call me from other parts of the USA to have me do work for their clients who live, or just moved to, my city.

Anyway, I am waiting for an Interior Designer to call me from Canada. Then I will be able to tell people that my work is "internationally known!!!".

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!