Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:10:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mustang bucket repair?

Started by MinUph, August 21, 2010, 08:43:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I've run into something new to me  :o. I am repairing a bucket seat out of a Mustang. I am used to hog rings but found these to be glued down to the foam in the seams. What type of glue is this strong?
  Thank you
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SHHR

Contact glue like Weldwood Landau Top Adhesive is easily strong enough to hold down the cover. I use it alot on custom eats instead of listings and hog rings. The glue gets stronger with age. To remove the covers it works best using a sharp razor blade to gut it away from the foam.
Kyle

SHHR

Quote from: SHHR on August 21, 2010, 09:06:20 am
. I use it alot on custom eats instead of listings and hog rings.

I meant custom seats NOT eats! I'm busy thinking about the BBQ festival in town this weekend!
Kyle

stitcher_guy

SHHR, another thing I've found to remove the glued down covers (I glue the custom ones in most cases, too, and it also works well on tractor and backhoe seats) is to use your heat gun. Normally I'll heat the outside of the material. It softens the glue underneath, and then you can peel it off with little to no damage to the existing bun.

MinUph

Thanks for the input. I'll order some Weldwood Landau Top Adhesive. I only find it in gallons and 5s. Too bad I couldn't find a quart. But if it works it will have to do.
  I wish I had read about the heat gun before tearing the seat apart. I got the covers off pretty good but there was some minor tearing of the buns. Nothing that will show under the padding on the covers.
  The back was bear to turn inside out with the bun attached.
  I must say I never ran across this type of fastening in my 25 yrs of doing Upholstery. Been out of it for about 10 and many things have changed.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website