Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:16:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Carpet Binding

Started by fragged8, August 14, 2010, 01:47:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya

Would anyone have any tips for carpet binding ?

I have found it fairly easy on short pile carpet but as the pile
gets longer binding gets harder.

Rich

Allan

Rich

What size binding are you using??

Allan

Mike8560

I generaly dont have a problem with marine grade carpets I get here from corinthian of miami mike  with my normal binder unless its a tight radius if its thicker a woder binding is better

JuneC

Last ones I did was a 40 oz cut pile.  Pretty thick stuff.  I had to trim the pile with scissors prior to binding.  I've given up carpets  :(

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

What about glue in carpet June ?  I just did  a interior replacement on a 30 sea Ray. I understand binding is a real pia  but  it's a nice little addition and I hate to  turn  customer away cause of the carpet just like headliners again a Lia to me.

Gmuny

Depending on the binder you are pushing. Most thicker carpets will all ways require a beveled edge. I do residential carpet work and achieve this with a pneumatic carver and air compressor.

Thanks,
Greg

bobbin

We use a vinyl/plastic binding at the shop.  It's finished on on one side, "raw" on the other,  so we don't use a folder when applying it.   It's about 1 1/2" wide, thereabouts.  Depending on the depth of the carpet's pile you have to fiddle around with the seam allowance you take on the raw edge side so you get a neat, uniform effect when it's turned and stitched down. 

We sew the side with the raw edge to the back of the carpet piece, then flip it over and topstitch the finished edge on the pile side of the carpet.  I loathe the whole operation.  It's a huge time waster and with a boss who refuses to learn about folders, let alone buy them in different sizes, binding in general is a real PITA. 

fragged8

hiya

Thanks for the input on this one guys, I haven't decided on binding width or anything yet
but i have ordered the carpet.

i opted for buying a tig welder/plasma cutter over buying a carpet binder as I rarely
do carpets so i guess i'll be doing the carpet either by hand or with a binder attachment
Anyone got any plans for building T tops :-)

rich

Mike8560

I thought about trying it rich here when I wanted one on my boat a couple years ago but didn't have time to do it. It's big over here. Do you see many over in the uk rich?

fragged8

hiya

not really, probably because of our weather.
I'd just considered making one for my boat if
I don't make a bimini.

I bought it mainly because a customer asked me to weld a couple
of loops onto a stainless frame so he can clip safety wires on to stop his kids falling onto the
swim platform. leaving stuff like that at the stainless fabricators place can take weeks to get back
so i can do it myself now :-)

Add to that I need to find something to do with all those stainless tube offcuts :0

rich