Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:21:30 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Gathering/shirring technique

Started by bobbin, August 13, 2010, 10:35:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Cheryl's marvelous shirred skirt and "welting" on a recent upholstery project have had me thinking.  How do you guys go about shirring in your shops?

I play with a scrap to determine the ratio that is most pleasing.  Then I premake the stuff.  Depending on the fabric's hand I will either run a loose line of stitching (deliberately screwing up the tension on the machine) and pull the thread to create the shirring, sometimes I will simply use a series of marks and fold in the excess as I stitch.  I haven't done much using my overlock machine, even though it has a very nice differential feed adjustment, so clearly it's time to get "familiar" with that handy feature. 

MinUph

Not seeing Cheryl's skirt I can't say how it was done. I use to have a gathering foot for my small machine that gathered the fabric and was adjustable. I then attached the welt and it was done. Some use a thread to pull the gathers in. They don't have to be even or uniformed. It is a nice look for thin fabrics like cotton prints and such.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I had asked about the ratios Cheryl posted with her sofa because the sofa skirt did not look like a 2.5 to 1 ratio at first. As I said on the other post, I really like that sofa.

I do ruffles and gathers on slip covers and pillows. I have done several gathered skirts on upholstered chairs, but not a sofa. I use the 2.5 to 1 ratio unless the customer wants more or less gathering, then I will experiment with it.

I get a little bit carried away with details on my gathers. I will cut the fabric 2.5 times the total length I need.

Let's say I need 100 inches. I will then have fabric 250 inches long. I will get a white string and mark with black magic market every 25 inches. I will mark the fabric every 62 inches. I then sew the white string onto the top of the fabric with my zig zag sewing machine, making a knot at the beginning of the string so it does not pull through. The string is in the zig zag stitch and I can pull the string and gather 62 inches of fabric on every 25 inches of string.

I usually pin the gathered fabric onto what ever it will be sewn onto, and then I sew away.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

I tend to be sort of fussy about how the shirring looks when I'm finished with it, too, Gene.   When I'm shirring say, a "cloud" shade or an Austrian shade I will do the shirring and then pin the work down so I may fuss with adjusting the gathers more evenly over the finished length.  I've read about the zigzag over the string method, but I've never tried it (my z-z is an elderly home machine that I use only for buttonholes really). 

I have 2 or 3 shirring feet that came with my old rotary take up W&G machine.  It was, I believe, set up for the lingerie or formal wear industry.  I have never tried to use them, though.  The difference between the feet is in the height of the "step" in front of the needle.  I surmise that the height of the "step" is a determining factor in how much fabric is shirred as the machine moves down the goods. 

Has anyone used shirring feet on their commercial machinery?

Chill

Pillowback recliners have a lot of gathering, I sew 1/4 inch elastic inside the seam streatching as I go. Then just match the notches as you sew pieces together.
Carol

Lynn

I use the same method as Carol. Works like a charm on leather.
Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!