Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 01:07:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My weekend in pictures

Started by fragged8, August 02, 2010, 01:51:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

August 02, 2010, 01:51:25 am Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:13:33 am by fragged8

richards weekend..

I've been to sea ( North Sea ) this weekend and took a couple of photos
there is a vid too if you can play it.

If you want to google earth It I went from my mooring at Norwich, Norfolk
which is inland to the coast port of Great Yarmouth.

From Great Yarmouth to Southwold and back again the next day with a little
fuel stop at Lowestoft, all on the East coast. The region is known as East Anglia
and the counties are Norfolk and Suffolk.

The engine went great but my steering linkage fell apart about 1/2 mile from Southwold
close to the pier, the boat did a 360 spin EEEK and i lost the retaining nut over the side
when it fell apart.  I managed to hold it all together with cable ties and make the very
choppy entrance to the harbour which often has 4 or 5 foot waves at the entrance
when it is wind over tide.

I managed to get 26 knots at 5000 rpm inland going with the tide
and on the return it was 25 knots at 5500 rpm going against the tide
so i'm guessing she will do around the 30 knot mark at 5500 rpm at slack water
with the current prop, i'm going to look into changing the prop to get a bit more speed
and because the engine very easily revs to 6000 rpm and I'm dont want to blow it up :-0

offshore was a different story as it was a bumpy ride before the links fell apart so I was only able to
do between 8 and 14 knots on the way back I could maintain around 15 knots but sometimes got knocked off
the plane by the waves which is a new experience for me having been a blowboater for 30 years.

The only place where i live i can speed - video

A boat i saw with both my wife's and son's names on :-)

Speeding along just inland from Great Yarmouth

The entrance to Great Yarmouth from the sea, last time i was here the new harbour with the cranes wasnt there !! so this time I couldn't find the entrance
the ship is a supply vessel for taking equipment to the oil rigs in the North Sea, i used to work on them.

and not easily seen but the MTB 102 which is the english equivalent to a PT boat I guess ? She was the fastest boat in the Royal Navy during
WW2 and is still used today. the torpedo tubes are fake as she was built as a prototype with a tube down the center exiting at the bow just below the deck

Mike8560

Quote from: fragged8 on August 02, 2010, 01:51:25 am

A boat i saw with both my wife's and son's names on :-)
Why you sly dog, two wifes hey?  :P

so looks like  she realy scoot now Rich nice motor looks about  2001 4 stroke.
75 hp right
when your kids get bigger noe you can take them tubing if youve got some calm waters where you can open her up

fragged8

hehe i have enough trouble with the one I have already, i couldn't handle 2 :-)
( not really, she's a diamond )

just about spot on with the motor id Mike, the motor i took off was a 2008 so i should get
some cash back from selling that.

I might need it to pay for the bigger fuel bills  ;D 

The speed wasn't as good as i expected but she revs a bit too easy so I'm thinking a re-prop
will drop the revs and help get more top end, mind you the acceleration is wild !!!

For once I'm ahead of you Mike heheh I bought some tow eyes today and am looking
out for a ringo or similar. ..

Is it normal for a motor boat to stall in the water if its choppy ? out at sea i was planing
at about 12 ish knots and sometimes she would drop the speed right off and come off the plane
until i gave her a burst of power to get her going again,
I'm guessing it just because shes light and the swell at sea was just knocking her out of balance ?

Mike8560

August 03, 2010, 05:58:25 pm #3 Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:05:13 pm by Mike8560
your probly just not proped right rich as you suspect. if your taking it slow in the ruff stuf a large wave can knock you back. you could go for it aND jump wave to wave. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynwJPRpxtLo&feature=related

Allan

Hi Rich

You need one of these foils

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=36543&search123=36543&intAbsolutePage=1

It will get you on the plane quicker and let you plane at a slower speed

It will also help you in turns

You dropped off the plane when you hit a wave because of the size of the boat and you were going too slow

If you change your prop just make sure you know what WOT should be and adjust your prop for that
You may need a bit more pitch but don't go overboard

Allan

fragged8

hiya

Y, a new prop is the way to go i think. I have the WOT details Allan as i managed to
get a service manual online and it also has all the prop sizes for that engine/boat combo.

I'm gonna get that bad boy to do 35 to 40 knots if it kills me heheheh.

Awesome vid Mike I love those open boats you guys have.

I tried a foil on the other engine Allan and it didn't seem to do a thing ?
perhaps a bigger version might help ?

all a new learning curve for me as i've sailed all my life till now.

Rich

Allan

Rich

If you tried a foil and it did nothing then you either had the wrong thing  or it was too small as they do work and work well.
Use something similar to what was in the link I sent you not those ones that fold around the prop as I have doubts that they would do the same job as the one in the link

Allan