Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:44:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cushion Foam Shrinker

Started by Brandon, July 23, 2010, 10:46:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

A while back I found a really nice vacuum bag type foam shrinker. I must not have saved the link to it but I would really like to find it again. So does anyone here use them or know where i can get 1?

Mojo

There was a long discussion about them here several months ago. I believe there was even talk among a few guys on here about how to make one.

This is probably the one you were thinking of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDJASJztDY

You can order this online at www.chicktool.com

Chris

stitcher_guy

I use a garbage bag and my shop vac when I need to compress. A box of Gladlocks is a lot cheaper.

sofadoc

For years I used the plastic bag & shop-vac method. I decided to try the EZ stuffer, because I was led to believe that since it used the thin silk film, it wouldn't make a noise if you left it in. WRONG!!!  It DOES make a crinkling noise. By the time you go in and dig out all the silk film, you could've just stuffed the cushion by hand.
Also, the EZ stuffer is ONLY good for standard size cushions. I can easily stuff standard sized cushions by hand anyway. I've gone back to the plastic bag & shop-vac. Since this method employs a heavier bag, it's easier to dig out without tearing.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Brandon

Thanks a lot Mojo that's exactly what i was looking for. I'm still trying to decide if its worth it or not. $325 for the Stuffer and a roll of the film is a lil hard to swallow but if it saves time and a little stress I think it will be well worth the money.

sofadoc

Quote from: Brandon on July 25, 2010, 06:20:16 pm
$325 for the Stuffer and a roll of the film is a lil hard to swallow but if it saves time and a little stress I think it will be well worth the money.

Masco fabrics in birmingham has a junior version that you have to hook your own shop-vac to. I paid $125 for it. They have the silk film in a 100 yd. roll for$10.

hdflame

That looks like it would be REALLY easy to make one of those and use your own shop vac.  A thin frame and two pieces of pegboard.  How hard could that be?

I know in our last discussion on this, some had already made one. 

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mojo

Quote from: hdflame on July 27, 2010, 08:15:10 am
That looks like it would be REALLY easy to make one of those and use your own shop vac.  A thin frame and two pieces of pegboard.  How hard could that be?

I know in our last discussion on this, some had already made one. 

Yes a few had some great ideas. One of them I am going to copy. Someone suggested using a cheap u-shaped mechanics seat from Harbor Freight with some pegboard on top. :)

One of these days I will have to pick one of those seats up. They are fairly cheap to buy.

Chris

Brandon

you know what, I have a harbor freight seat that's broken all i need is pegboard ;)

hdflame

Quote from: Brandon on July 28, 2010, 05:58:46 am
you know what, I have a harbor freight seat that's broken all i need is pegboard ;)

Don't forget to take pictures! ;D

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

sofadoc

Be sure to run a stiffener board down the middle. otherwise the pegboard will collapse under suction.