Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:30:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tube Bender Available on Ebay

Started by wind_rose_2, July 22, 2010, 01:39:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wind_rose_2

gene

I have a spectator's question. When you bend a tube for a Bimini with a tube bender, for example, do you need to fill the tube with sand or some other material to keep it from collapsing at the bend?

A neighbor down the walk way from my shop makes trumpets, and he fills the tubes with a lead type material that hardens at a certain temp and then he bends the tube and is able to reuse the material that he put inside the tube.

Just wondering. Thanks.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike8560

boy that a steel , you cant buy the blocks for that chep either.
and Gene no you dont have to fill the tubes with sand.

hdflame

For those that looked at it, does it look like all of it is there and in good shape?  I just made an offer on it.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Eric

All of it looks like it's there for that 1/2 of the system, you still need to make crowns on the bows and that mechanism is not shown.
Eric

Mike8560

July 23, 2010, 01:35:59 pm #5 Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:42:57 pm by Mike8560
Yes it all looks to be good but like Eric said you need a crowner also  to Finnish the job coretly fly. I wonder if he has / had that too

Can-Vas

That is a super price for sure - although a 6" radius is probably too small for most marine frames,  still at that price buying the new 10" dies will still be way way less than buying a new system
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Mike8560

July 23, 2010, 01:55:47 pm #7 Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:04:15 pm by Mike8560
6" would be ok for small tops on most lake boats where Bobby is.

actually the 32 bayliner i just sold had frame with a radius of less then 6"s
I though it odd but it didnt look bad at all  Howard and kept the headroom fuller to the sides.

hdflame

Quote from: Eric on July 23, 2010, 10:57:44 am
All of it looks like it's there for that 1/2 of the system, you still need to make crowns on the bows and that mechanism is not shown.
Eric

Is that normally part of it?
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

Bobby th crowner is a seperate tool with 3 rollers.  You crank the pipe through and the tube is curved the length of the tube.

hdflame

Quote from: Mike8560 on July 24, 2010, 01:58:12 am
Bobby th crowner is a seperate tool with 3 rollers.  You crank the pipe through and the tube is curved the length of the tube.

Is it normally sold separately or do they come together?

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

wind_rose_2

l am surprised no one has just paid the price and bought it...l tried and would have been happy with the price but the seller would not ship to Canada.

hdflame

Quote from: wind_rose_2 on July 25, 2010, 07:28:29 am
l am surprised no one has just paid the price and bought it...l tried and would have been happy with the price but the seller would not ship to Canada.

The reason I made an offer is I thought the shipping was too high.  I don't remember now, but it was about $80 just for shipping! :o
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

wind_rose_2

WOW!
l wonder what the manufacturer charges to ship a new one?
$80 is nutz.. even into Canada