Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 01:38:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

air plane seats!!

Started by GEEG, July 21, 2010, 05:32:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GEEG

Ok.... I have been asked if i could help out my son-n-law and rehpolster his seats in his air plane he just bought. I have done a few care seats but...... never air plane. I am unsure of where to start for fabric and one of them needs refoamed. I am sure there are some fancy guide lines on the type of fabric. Any ideals on where to start????

GeeG

stitcher_guy

There are several aircraft upholsterers that come in here, but I do know you have to have FAA certified material and substrate. Check with your regular suppliers, because many of them can have materials prepared to meet FAA qualifications. There are also aircraft specific suppliers such as PremAir and others that can supply you.

I've only done seats for smallish planes (piper tri pacer, Beechcraft, etc.). The biggest thing with them is weight savings. Everything on the seats is glued rather than using fasteners and panels and such. Just make sure to get the paper to go in the log book that all the material is up to snuff.

GEEG

Thank you!! Any place to start. He is aware of logging it.

Any other websites or info is greatly appreciatied.

Georgia

Mojo

Georgia:

Your best bet is to send a Private Message to a member here whose name is - NDAV8R

He is our resident expert on aircraft upholstery. That is is what he does and he will be able to answer any questions you may have. He deals with this stuff daily and would be a great resource for you. I am sure he can provide you with supplier names, etc as well as give you the run down on the FAA regulations and what your going to have to do to complete the job correctly.

I know if I had an airplane job he would be my first contact. He has years of experience dealing with
airplane upholstery. He also is a pilot himself. :)

The only thing I can tell you is when reupholstering aircraft you have to be sure you do it exactly to FAA standards or your going to end up ripping everything out and starting over again. This is why it is very expensive to have upholstery work done on aircraft.

Best of luck,

Chris

GEEG

Chris THANK YOU!!
I will contact him. I am alittle afraid of this. I am sure i can make a pattern, i have the old seats. But, nervous about the whole FAA standards.

Georgia

gene

Do a search of this forum. There has been a lot of discussion about airplane upholstery. FAA approved everything: fabric, foam, adhesive, etc. Documentation to prove everything and how that documentation needs to be a part of the log book and how it is needed to sell the plane or if there is an FAA inspection.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Georgia:

It is no different then doing the interior of a car or boat. The only difference is that you have to follow FAA rules. The sewing is the same.

I think all that we are suggesting here is just be sure and follow the regulations laid down by the FAA.

Chris