Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:16:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Seat welt

Started by Rod Rogers, July 14, 2010, 04:19:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Rogers

I am looking for seat welt that is solid. Anyone know where it comes from?
Thanks!
Rod

Mojo

I take it your asking about welt cord for seats. If so all the suppliers sell it - Miami, DBT, Rochford, etc.

If you need just a small quantity then you may want to check e-bay. The last order I made for welt cord I had to buy a large lot of it from my supplier as he only sold it in bulk.

Chris

Rod Rogers

Most of what I see is hollow. I can get that locally. Have you seen any that is not hollow?

Mojo

All the welt cord I have seen and purchased has been solid core. I have never seen any plastic hollow cored welt cord. I know if you order cord through one of the suppliers it is going to be solid core.

Maybe someone else here can comment.

Chris

Saddleman

Rod,  I just ordered some 5/32 plastic from DLT.  I might see it Friday...Monday for sure.  I will let you know what it looks like when it comes in.  I think it will be a three life time supply for me at 500 ft. 

Loren

Rod Rogers

Quote from: Saddleman on July 15, 2010, 06:27:55 am
Rod,  I just ordered some 5/32 plastic from DLT.  I might see it Friday...Monday for sure.  I will let you know what it looks like when it comes in.  I think it will be a three life time supply for me at 500 ft. 

Loren

Loren, that sounds great!
The reason I am looking for this is, the pre-made stuff is too soft and flexible. What I need is more like the welt used in the 60's which was stiff, almost like weed eater line.

stitcher_guy

Rod, I think I'm confused. Are you looking for the premade, colored welting, or just the welt core? The welting is plastic and has the selvage lip on it for sewing. It's hollow, but very stiff on a cushion. It's the stuff used in the 60s and 70s, and also on Dodge Ram trucks when they first came out. Pretty much any application where you're wanting to do it quick and cost-efficient over exact color matched.

But the welt core is what is more like Weed eater line. You wrap it with your choice of covering and sew it yourself. LIke the others have said, what I order is always solid core.