Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:38:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Soccer has a chance!

Started by gene, July 09, 2010, 04:38:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Yes, I finally believe that soccer will become a major sport here in the good old USA, quite possibly bigger than any other sport.

Why? 1 hour on ESPN last night was dedicated to watching LeBron James say that he is going to play for the Miami Heat.

Pro sports here in the USA is no longer about sports and competition. It's about money. Not just money for the players, but for the owners, politicians, and other peripheral people.

The sad part of it all, for those of us who have to go to work today and pay taxes, is that pro sports in the USA is being subsidized with hundreds of millions of tax payer dollars, and enhanced by anti trust and monopoly exemptions.

Yee haw! Go LeBron!

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SHHR

I agree Gene, I mean after all unemployment is at an all time high. The stock market is like a roller coaster with talk of another recession looming. We're just beginning to see that the "bailout" really hasn't worked too well. This country is in the biggest political mess of possibly all time. Not to mention the oil spill in the gulf and heat wave in the east.

But I hope all slept well last night knowing LeBron finally made his decision. All must be well with the world!

sofadoc

There's one flaw in the soccer theory. The 1 hr. LeBron James extravaganza actually pre-empted a World Cup preview.
The sad part of being a fan of ANY sport nowadays is that when your team is considering a trade, they can't be worried about whether he can hit, throw, catch,  run, or shoot. The only concern is "What kind of contract does he have?"
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I have changed my mind. Soccer will never take hold her in the USA. We already have BIG TIME WRESTLING!!!

I didn't watch all of the final world cup game, but the parts that I have watched, I have seen 3 times when a tackler got a yellow card. The guy who got tackled was rolling on the ground in pain. The replay showed that the tackler never touched the guy who fell down. One guy actually pulled his leg up and fell, instead of continuing to run.

How does a guy from Ned kick a guy from Esp in the chest and the ball is no where in site, the the guy doing the high kick gets a yellow, and not a red card? Every game I have watched the refs seemed to have their favorite team.

Did Spain win because they are the best team or because they have the best actors?

How about allowing the players to have card table chairs and they can smash the chairs on each other's backs?

I got interested in the sport, a lot of skill, but the crap and the refs really make it not very appealing.

Gene

wind_rose_2

ROGUE

Grebo

Quote from: wind_rose_2 on July 11, 2010, 02:13:09 pm
:P VIVA ESPANA!  :P

Tell me about it  ??? Fireworks going off all blinking night  :(  Cars shooting around everywhere with HUGE Spanish flags on the cars flogging away.
I don't do football but good on then for the obvious pride in their country.  :D

scottymc

90 minutes of play ending in a nil all draw, sounds like an argument with my wife.

gene

Wow Scotty, you can actually come to a draw in an argument with your wife?

How do you do it? Spikes to the shins? High kicks to the face? Flopping?

(Name withheld in case my wife happens to read this post.)