Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:28:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Looking for some things.

Started by MinUph, July 08, 2010, 03:23:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I'm looking for a few tools that I stupidly got rid of thinking "I'm never gonna do Upholstery again"

If you have one you want to get rid of cheap let me know. I am short on cash but not cheap.

1. Handy button machine. 22s and 30 dies would be nice with it.
2. Clinch it tool
3. Bosch foam saw
4. Might add to this list
5. Glue sprayer. Can't believe they want 90 bucks for one now 

Have a great day.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Paul:

I do not have a foam saw. I use a WalMart electric knife. :)

If your going to buy a new Hoover press with dies I suggest looking at Rochford. While they are not my favorite supplier, they do have the cheapest prices I have seen anywhere on the Hoover snap press set.

I maybe heading to Harbor Freight in the next couple weeks if you want to ride down there with me. There are a couple things I need to get.

Chris

MinUph

Hi Chris,
   I have a snap tool. All set there. And an electric knife. Not the same as a foam saw for nice clean cuts and shaving foam. I was talking about a button machine. Handy type that makes fabric covered buttons. I see nothing at Harbor freight that is helpful. Well I do get some things there but none of the tools I need are available from them.

Thanks.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

I use a chepo home band saw for homedepot for foam cutting.

MinUph

Hi Mike,
  Yea I have a band saw and use it also for certain things. They are very useful in many ways.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

RiCat

A decent alternative to a Bosch foam cutter - because of how proud they are of them - is the EZE 8" Foam Cutter. This website - http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html - has them for $135. Mine works good. The only thing I had to do was refasten the round blade holder in the foot using JB Weld.

BTW - welcome to the Spring Hill area - I relocated here from Tampa in 04/08 - been stomping around in my area (where the shop is) for 35 years. Seen a lot of changes and more changes are coming to this area - good changes - growing fast - good for business.

Rick
Catalina Custom Upholstery
www.CatalinaCustom.com

MinUph

Hi Rick,
  Thanks for the input. I've been looking at that foam saw and I think Rick at Florida Supply uses one. I asked his girl in the workroom about it and she said it worked well. If I can't find a good used Bosch I'll probably go with that one.
  I've looked at your site before nice work. Thanks for the welcome.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

I've been using that particular brand of foam saw for several years now.  It's been quite reliable and it isn't nearly as expensive as a Bosch.  But, and I could be wrong about this, I think the both the blades on a Bosch move, on the one pictured only one moves. 

I've found that you need to be good about cleaning the blades regularly if you cut through a lot of glued foam.  I am not allowed to use silicone spray at work, but in the past I've used it routinely and it really makes a lot of the cutting a good deal easier, esp. on tight radii.  It's very loud; I like to use hearing protection when I have a lot of cutting to do... boss laughs at me. 

(I need to buy a saw for myself and that's the one I'll probably buy).

MinUph

Yes this one only the one blade moves. And the Bosch both do. I am still going to look for a Bosch as I know the tool and liked it very much. Had one for many years with no issues at all. But money talks and if I can't find a good one used I will have to go with tis type.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website