Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 12:59:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machine set up

Started by boyfalldown, July 07, 2010, 09:49:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

boyfalldown

Hi all, I recentl picked up a juki 1541 (and love it!) and have a few questions regarding set up of the presser feet. When I sew vinyl backed with 1/2" sew foam my stitch length shortens dramaticaly (30% or so) compared to sewing unbacked vinly. Adjusting the pressure of the feet does not seem to change anything. The machine has an adjustment for the relative height of the inside and outside feet, but I don't yet want to go down that route as I hardy understand that effects the material feed.  Any thoughts?

Regards,

Jim

bobbin

Are you running the stitch length as long as it will go?  I know my Juki 1541 has a dial for the stitch length and it allows a really long stitch.  Try that first and see if you can get the sort of length you want to see. 

But, my guess is that adjusting the step of the inner foot is going to be the answer to your question.  If the foot is able to step higher it will be able to better cope with the overall loft of the 1/2" sew foam you're using. 

Do you have a manual with the machine? why are you afraid/hesitant "to go down that road"?  Think about it, you've just purchased a very practically engineered machine, designed for the sort of work you wish to do and you aren't willing to fiddle around with it and find out what it can do to make your job easier!

It's a machine.  Designed and engineered by people.  Don't let it freak you out. 

boyfalldown

Thanks for the reply bobbin. I do use the stitch length dial, but at 9 (wide open) I still only get a 5mm stitch with backing, vs 9mm without. This being my first needle feed machine I don't know if this is normal, or not. I do have the owners and service manual, and don't mind trying the inner foot height, I just thought I'd look for an opinion or two from someone with a bit more experiance than I before doing it. Baby steps... One of these days I should probably see if I can find a tech to go through timing, feed dog height, presser foot height ect with me.

bobbin

If you are running the stitch length at 9mm and it's still too short the answer is to adjust the step of the feet. 

Here's what I'd do:
Set the stitch length dial at your usual length.  ( I like 5-6 mm, personally). 
Then, incrementally begin adjusting the step and track what the net effect is on your sample. 

As I understand it (I'm new to this feature, too!), you should be able to adjust the step via the dial so that it accomodates the the thickness of the material you're stitching and still delivers the desired, pre-set stitch lenth on the dial. 

When you think about about it, you are simply commanding the feet to step higher (over the loft of the work) to deliver the same stitch length.  Don't be afraid to use your machine to its fullest capabilities!

boyfalldown

So I'm guessing the Outside foot is dragging on the material when the inside foot is trying to feed it through, thus shortening the stitch length. Changing the lift hieght sounds easy enough, do you know if there are any adverse effects by over doing it?

bobbin

Why would there be? whatever you change via the dial you can always change right back, can't you?  The dial is calibrated, you have the manual and there is no way you can screw this up. 

It's a lift dial, not a a neutron bomb!  (feel better now?)

boyfalldown

July 07, 2010, 03:16:16 pm #6 Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:21:13 pm by boyfalldown
Mine doesn't have the dial, I think thats only available on the super luxurius -7. I have to open the side cover and adjust a cam/slider on the shaft that the flywheel/handwheel drives. After reading the manual again i'll give it a shot tonight when I get home from work.  

bobbin

Seems to me that was an option and could be ordered on other models, too, but I could be wrong about that.  I didn't even know what it was for when my machine was delivered... found out afterwards that you can also get a push button feature that will adjust the foot at the touch of button (missed that boat, lol).  I think the mechanic told me that could be added to my machine "after market", but I could be wrong about that, too!

Anyway, I was wondering if you'd had any luck getting the adjust "dialed in" and how well it's worked out working on loftier goods.  I was doing something at work the other day that required the Consew 255RB2 to step up and then down over a lot of thickness and I instinctively reached for the dial... but no!  What a handy little feature!

scarab29

Same for me , when stitching through the sew foam the stitch length is shorter than no sew foam. Think its the nature of the scrim on the foam.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

boyfalldown

Hi Bobbin, sorry its taken a bit of time to get back to you. A sinus infection and root canal took me out for the better part of a week.

Adjusting the offset helped a lot. My stitches are now within 10% of eachother regardles of what I feed through the machine. The only downside I've found is with the feet raising up  so high its a little tough to use the feet as a refrance for spacing french seams, so I picked up one of those fancey spring guide feet sets.

Regards,

Jim

bobbin

Great to hear back from you but I'm really sorry you've been so under the weather!

You're a trooper to report back!