Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:04:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Trade publications you enjoy

Started by bobbin, July 03, 2010, 06:55:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

OK, along with my resolution to do more to "bulk up" my professional skills in the coming year is the knowledge that I need some "trade mags", too.  I know print seems to be going the way of the dinosaur, but what do you read? what do you particularly enjoy? what would you recommend for someone who works in the marine/awning field, but really gravitates to Home Dec.?

gene

Good questions.

I do furniture upholster:
1. I read this forum. I also check Carrscorner occasionally.
2. I occasionally will take a few hours and google different topics. There are always some new vids on youtube, someone's web site has a new vid or detailed project. I learn a lot from what other folks share on their web sites or blogs, such as http://millerupholstering.blogspot.com/.
3. I occasionally will buy a book or DVD on some specific subject.
4. The Upholstery Journal is the only trade mag I read. I read it on line.

I read a lot of stuff about running a small business also. I think this is just as important as reading about upholstery.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

QuoteI read a lot of stuff about running a small business also. I think this is just as important as reading about upholstery

That is a major point Gene, business is business, all the rules of another, bigger or smaller apply to me.  I am an incessant reader of business related matter from taxes to marketing and new efficiencies.  Just wish I could be an expert at it all. ;)

Perhaps this thread could be continued under the business section.

Doyle

bobbin

I love that blog, Gene!  I've been reading it for a long time now, too!  I love the attention to detail; the witty, well composed narrative, and the whole idea that seeing potential in a piece is fun and part of the challenge, too. 

I need to spend more time searching out similar blogs, methinks; sp. slipcovers and drapery work!  (suggestions?)

I've been "all about business", lately.  Most of it related to the computer, programs, streamlining things I presently do "the old way", and website formation.  I'm have the daily business realities under control but the whole web thing is new and strange to me on a business level.  It's clearly time to get "up to speed" on that count. 

Mike8560

I get the marine fabricator and review magazines. Review is more towards awnings

White1054

- I have subscribed this thread for further referance.

Regards

White

Mike8560

Quote from: White1054 on July 13, 2010, 10:45:31 pm
- I have subscribed this thread for further referance.

Regards

White
wtf?