Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:29:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Let's talk about creativity (or not)

Started by bobbin, July 02, 2010, 07:41:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Part of what keeps me working in this trade is that it can be very creative.   Sometimes is in an aesthetic aspect, other times it's because technical challenges inspire creative solutions. 
1.)  How important is the creative aspect of your work to you?
2.)  How do you keep the creative spirit alive when faced with "from the neck down" rote jobs?
3.)  Do you think that creativity is important, at all?
4.)  Do you attend workshops/classes to keep yourselves "current" and interested in what's going on in our trade/field? 

R.A.F. CaNvAs

1) yes... I like hearing what the owners want ( would like ) and then making something outstanding,  A quote from the tv  " You're going to like the way looks I guarantee it" .
2) switch from design to looking to make the systems swifter and make the boring things as fast as possible..
3)Hmm..... Kinda like translating the laymens thinking (owners) and then making a product  that is far better and easier to make and use...
4)... O hell no , it's only girls work , playing with fabric when all said and done , I do tend to look at others work with my critical eye, ( the left one the other one is lazy and makes me look like Marty  Feldman) ....
Good questions  Bobbin, It had me quite self concious there for a moment....  ::)
Why do I do what I do ...... just for the $

sofadoc

July 02, 2010, 03:48:28 pm #2 Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:24:41 pm by sofadoc
I keep my creative juices flowing by trying to improve my methods in a way that is more efficient, and therefore, more profitable. But as far as getting creative with the actual work itself, that part of me died years ago.
Thankfully, most of my customer's ideas of being creative are something simple like rounding a squared arm on a sofa, or changing the style of skirt.
Or maybe mixing several different fabrics on the same piece.
After 30 years, I no longer encourage creativity, especially if is going to cut into my profit on a job.
If it sounds like I don't enjoy my work, believe me, nothing could be further from the truth. But it is hard to get enthused about being creative when the customer is furnishing some cheap "factory seconds" crap.
Occasionally, I still get jazzed on an upscale job, but those are fewer, and farther between these days.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

1) very important.  But I've only been doing this for 6 years.  If I didn't get to be creative I'd be sitting in an office counting beans (corporate IT refugee with Accounting degree).  Boats are way more fun.
2) I keep my eye on the prize -the NEXT job where I get to be creative.
3) Absolutely. But it's disappointing when some boat owner chooses smooth white on white on white for upholstery when there are SO many options.  Luckily, there are loads of boat makes/models out there so just learning how they're constructed is interesting in itself.  For instance, Formula impresses the heck out of me with their upholstery techniques.
4) Wish I had time.  When I do get a few minutes off, I like to veg in front of the TV and snooze.  I'm really getting tired of the 60 hour weeks.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

seamsperfect

I try to be creative hence the name "Creative Options".  I approach my prospect as a consultant, instead of selling the customer.  I give them a number of options then let them decide from there.  I have always done design and my degree is in Architecture, so it is a way to express my style.
Kevin

baileyuph

1.  Very important, staying in business and maintaining the quality of service expected today makes this issue very important.  Staying on our toes is essential and does require thinking outside the box.

2.  To make it in business one has to give every service rendered its due attention.  Competition can drive this virtue.

3.  It is so important, success depends on creativity becoming routine.  It becomes intuitive.

4.  If you care, no opportunities are overlooked.  They come in many forms.

Doyle

fragged8

hiya

I want to be creative and i get the chance occasionally
but i am still finding my way making some money.

Getting experience is the name of the game for me at the moment
and getting more experience make the job more relaxed. AS i'm getting
better i find i can start to play.

Mind you it takes a while to be comfortable doing things you wouldn't
normally do without messing the job up.

so far i've been to the US twice to train and hopefully will be coming back again
for some more training, i'm always happy to learn new ways or better ways of doing
things. Which is where this forum is such a valuable resource .

Without this forum I am sure I would have wasted far more material   ;D

you guys rock

bobbin

Good thoughts from all, and thanks for your insight.  My question was precipitated by my present work situation.  I am a very creative person and presently find my job offers little to no outlet for it, which makes me sad and rather sucks the fun out of the work. 

I particularly like coming up with a faster, more fool-proof way to do things, too!  It's a holdover from my days workin' piece rate where accuracy and speed paid off in paychecks. 

And like you, June, I often wish customers allowed themselves to "walk on the wild side" more than they do.  I also wish my boss wasn't so convinced that style and taste begin and end on the boss's desk, lol.  That belief even trickles over into my own projects... "Why do you want to do that?" , "Oh I wouldn't do that if I were you; I think that's a little too over the top and won't look good in a few years".  Know what? I still love the fancy valence and tassels on my bay window awning! and I still love fringe on awning valences!

I've never attended any workshops on techniques or trade shows but would really love to.  I think that will be my goal for the coming year.  I need to get a couple of trade publications, I think.  Those that come to the shop are usually whisked away before I'm able to look at them.   :<

Mojo

I get so bored sewing solar screens for RV's that my brain screams for something creative.

Once my chemo regimen slows down and I get this upholstery shop finished I am going to start on a creative project - making a leather chair ( so I can dump this recliner ). I want to pattern it after out leather couch ( same style, etc. ). I have a full blown woodshop I want to put to use so I will make the frame as well.

I do have a couple motorcycle seats sitting there waiting for me that came off my buddies Indian. That should allow me to get some creative juices flowing.

I did my boats interior a year and a half ago and did all the design work and patterns and I loved it. I had a ball laying out the designs and putting it all together. I would love a job like that again.

But, sewing these solar screens drives me nuts. Boring, straight forward and no chance to get creative. If I didn't have such a high profit margin with them I would never sew another one again. :)

Chris

sofadoc

After reading some of these posts, I think that I might have mis-spoke in saying that I no longer feel a creative urge. After all, no 2 sofas are the same, so I guess that my creative itch gets scratched without me even realizing it. And I do a fair amount of re-styling on furniture. I guess that some of you boat & canvas guys and gals do have to contend with more repetitive stuff.
Bobbin: After being my own boss for nearly 3 decades, there's NO WAY I could work for a boss like the one you've described in your recent threads.
I hope  it is possible someday for you to "hang out your own shingle".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Boss is a good person, Sofa..  Just doesn't have much in the way of a clue about the importance of creativity and allowing the worker bees a chance to quarterback their own projects.  For someone like me, it's downright irksome, for most... not a problem, at all.  ;)

Not sure how to move from a very comfortable job  to the far riskier provence of "self -employment"... would like to segue with sub-contacting (bring on the 1099) but am not sure that would be welcomed.  Boss is already suspicious about my pursuit of slipcover work and "outside" cushion work. 

fragged8

hiya

here's a tip for ya.

If you want to see some creativity in tops take a visit the your local store that sells
baby buggies and prams .

We have mothercare stores here, when my wife was expecting i took lots of photos
of the buggies ( do you call them strollers ?)

the sun shades on them are exactly the same as European dodgers but the designs and
variations are amazing, it wouldn't be hard to incorporate some of the designs into
other styles of cover. I like the ones that use mesh to make openings and pockets.
some of them are really funky .

Rich

JuneC

Richard, ever look at Iverson's dodgers?  www.iversondesign.com  Now that's some work...  I wanna be that good when I grow up.  :o

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

hi June

y i found them a while ago, they are the dog's dangly bits   :o

I did sit down one afternoon to try and work out how they made them so good,

baileyuph

Quotethey are the dog's dangly bits   

That is a new expression to me Richard, I am wondering how you are using it?  Is that one safe to explain?

:)

Doyle