Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:49:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

invisible canvas repair

Started by fragged8, July 07, 2010, 12:03:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya 
A customer has asked me a good question,  can tears in canvas be repaired invisibly ?
he doesn't want patches as the canvas is only a year old.

anyone have any thoughts on this ?

mike802

Sounds like a tall order to me.  I have in some cases been able to hide the repair in a seam, or make a new seam where the repair is, but only if a seam is close by, or their is enough slack in the canvas to take up the seam allowance in the repair.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

MinUph

Only thing I can think of is to just replace the torn section with new.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Many, many moons ago when I worked in a very high end tailoring shop a customer asked about a repair to a 3 corner tear in a very expensive suit.  We gave him the usual options  which included sending the garment out for reweaving ($$). 

I still quote the advice given him for the less expensive option:  "we can fix it but we can't make it disappear".  That pretty much sums it up. 

Mike8560

I agree with everyoneive hidthem in seams and made seams to hide repairs but then I'll mirror the seam on a cover on a good side to make it look original. And I've replace a entire panel on A canvas from seam to seam when neccarry. But I don't know how to hide just a patch.

fragged8

thank guys,

i was sort of thinking invisible repairs like on vinyl, i know thats a different ball game, but you never know
till you ask eh ?

so i guess its patch it or hide it if you can   :o

Rich