Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:28:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pulling my hair out

Started by dlll, June 29, 2010, 08:47:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dlll

man i cant seem to get it spent hours on trying to find the problem the thread keeps pulling out of the needle on start up after a few stitches. changed needles bobbin hook timing is right on. what am i missing :(

mike802

on my Adler I have to hold the thread, top and bobbin for a couple of stitches, or it gets sucked in and balls up.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

I agree with Mike, I think holding on to the threads is sort of standard protocol with the torquier machines. 

wind_rose_2

Yep...hold the thread!
Dave

Bliss

Spary the thread and the needle with some sillicone slip. 

ps. make sure your foot isnt rubbing the thread.

dlll

well i did that and it breaks the thread after it runs out on the left i would pull about 12 in. on the left of the needle and when that runs out it pulls the thread from the eye and than i start all over again

kiwistuffer

Quote from: dlll on June 29, 2010, 05:27:17 pm
well i did that and it breaks the thread after it runs out on the left i would pull about 12 in. on the left of the needle and when that runs out it pulls the thread from the eye and than i start all over again

I may be misunderstanding you But, the thread should come through the right hand side of your needle ,you may have the needle round the wrong way in which case it will break every time.The blood gutter on the needle(grooved side)should face left and be threaded from that side.Makes sense? I hope...

JuneC

Yep, Kiwi's probably right.  On my new-to-me double needle Singer, I have a single needle loaded only on the left side of the needle bar.  When I threaded it, I knew that it was a mirror image of the threading/needle on the right, but being dyslexic as I am, threaded the needle left to right instead of right to left and for the life of me, couldn't figure out why on earth the dang thing would come unthreaded after a single stitch.  DUH!  Blush...    :-[  And I've been sewing since I was 7 or 8.  I had to actually watch the hook pick up the thread before I figured it out. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

dlll

ok when i go home i will try left to right you see i use embroidery machines all day long 6 head . four head and single head and it is front to back i just figured that it must be right to left not left to right. I think i figured out  the hook timing on my machines its set at 180 than turn to 200 deg i think on this machine it is. turn pulley towards you all the way down than back up 3mm set the hook to the scarf of the needle. Give me a embroidery machine any day and its all mine. I just picked up this machine to do a project job for me and sew banners.
chandler dy 337

dlll

well i half to say you were right about left to right so after all of that pulling the hook out i hope i set the timing right. It seems to sew like a dream. running 92 sunbrella uv thread and no skips our missed stitches. I want to thank all of your input. Now where can i buy bimini tubing cheap west coast Cali

bobbin

"Blood gutter", lol.  I'll be chuckling about that for some to come... .

Funny how we become so accustomed to one machine that we instinctively treat all the others the same way, huh?  I hadn't used my overlock machine in a pretty long time and was working on some pretty lightweight fabric, so changed the needle down to a #12.  Overlock needles (like zig-zags) have the groove facing you as the loopers pass by the scarf behind the needle; but damned if I didn't put the needle in "sideways"... DOH!

Stephen1033

- I already referred this to my friend.

Regards

Stephen