Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:39:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Slashed roof. (car stuff)

Started by Grebo, June 28, 2010, 08:42:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Hey boys & girls, I don't do cars BUT.
My neighbour has a Mitsubishi eclipse rag top (this years)  with two 6" slashes on one side of the roof, one of which just go's through the second layer, inner roof ?
He has been quoted €4000, I guess that's a whole new roof ?
Is it feasible to go a decent patch job ?  & whats it take to get it off the frame ?
If you need piccys, it's about 100yards from me, so no problem there.  ;D

fragged8

hi

just make him a bimini  ;D

rich

mike802

Hi Grebo:  I am not sure how that translates into dollars, but sounds expensive to me.  I can do most convertible tops for $2500.00 or less, but I admit to never having worked on that car.  Tops do not patch well and I would highly recommend replacing the top.  All those staple holes will weaken the top and I would not guarantee it to stay in place a highway speeds.  Most tops are stapled onto the frame, but like I said, I have never installed a top on that make and model.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

jojo

What a coincidence! Just got the June/July Upholstery Journal today, and that very car is mentioned in an article about the three categories of convertible top replacement: Least expensive/time consuming, more difficult/time consuming, and most difficult. The eclipse falls into the more time consuming category. There are some pictures of the disassembly, and they promise more details on their website.

Grebo

Quote from: jojo on June 28, 2010, 02:06:05 pm
What a coincidence! Just got the June/July Upholstery Journal today, and that very car is mentioned in an article about the three categories of convertible top replacement: Least expensive/time consuming, more difficult/time consuming, and most difficult. The eclipse falls into the more time consuming category. There are some pictures of the disassembly, and they promise more details on their website.

Cool.  Is that the one you can get on line access to ?

Good point I hadn't thought of the speed of the thing. mike

Grebo

Cor just found it...
Think I might give this one a miss  :o