Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:05:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Here is a big girl.

Started by Grebo, June 25, 2010, 04:29:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

For those of you who like em BIG  :P
Onyx of Berlin.  45metres  :o Goodness knows how long that mast is. ???
The OH has electronics to fix & I got some cushions to do next year   ;D

I will get a better piccy, this one is a snap from my phone.

bobbin

That's a substantial vessel, all right!  Sloop with cutter rig?

Grebo

Yeh sure is, the owner is an arquitect he had it built for him. Big boat for one person  ::)

PDQ

She's a biggie for sure, and a beauty!

The only 45m I've ever worked on was Helena C, originally the Malcolm Miller and sister ship to the Sir Winston Churchill.

Here's a very short vid I took of her during a refit on Southampton Water back in 2004

Note the templated hatch hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldeJNM52A0

Grebo

Quote from: PDQ on June 28, 2010, 06:14:09 am
She's a biggie for sure, and a beauty!

The only 45m I've ever worked on was Helena C, originally the Malcolm Miller and sister ship to the Sir Winston Churchill.

Here's a very short vid I took of her during a refit on Southampton Water back in 2004

Note the templated hatch hood.

No contest, Now thats a real boat  ;)

PDQ

How about this then;

I needed to stroll over to the marina today to tidy up a couple of loose ends on a hood I fitted earlier and at the same time I thought I would look around for something interesting to snap to post in this thread. I had a couple of boats in mind but I couldn't work out the best way to get to them, so I stopped for second or two next to a line of boats that were on the hard. and just as I was about to set off again. the boat I was standing next to caught my eye, I looked up and couldn't believe what I was looking at...

...Only one of Britain's most famous yachts, Sir Francis Chichester's Gypsy Moth IV.  :o  :o

We should rename this thread to 'Did You See Anything Good Today' and place a sticky on it.

Darren Henry

Sweet lines. I think either of the "Bluenoses" would have to trim their sails to keep up with that.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bobbin

I was thinking about that big girl you posted, Grebo.  Doesn't that seem like an awfully big boat for a sloop rig?  I should think a split rig, like a ketch would make for a more seaskindly boat.  Most of the big boats I see are split rigs. 

Grebo

Quote from: bobbin on June 29, 2010, 11:23:21 am
I was thinking about that big girl you posted, Grebo.  Doesn't that seem like an awfully big boat for a sloop rig?  I should think a split rig, like a ketch would make for a more seaskindly boat.  Most of the big boats I see are split rigs. 

Yes I would agree, it makes a whole lot of problems with that height.

R.A.F. CaNvAs

July 01, 2010, 11:58:14 am #9 Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:09:16 pm by R.A.F. CaNvAs

On the subject of big ones.....
      Sorry no pix of my own (too rushed to get it all done)  and only exterior covers on the outside seating areas ..... But what a fkn monster all 191ft of floating carbon.
Apparently the largest carbon fibre yacht to date,
and still a cutter rigged sloop.  I'm sure you will see the more pix button.

http://www.superyachts.com/news/sailing-yacht-kokomo:-sophisticated-style-onboard-the-58m-super-sloop-559.htm
:o