Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New stripping tool

Started by sofadoc, June 15, 2010, 04:31:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Got this tool in the other day:   
http://upholsteryjournalmag.com/articles/0610_np7_pliers.html

It has one set of jaws for removing hog rings, one for lifting staples. You can hit the handle with a soft mallet to pry staples up. You can also grab material and twist it off. I wish it had longer, thicker handles. It feels a bit small in your hand. It's a pretty good all-purpose tool to have around, and with shipping, is about $33.
If you're looking for another tool to add to your collection, you might want to try this one. But, after trying it for a few days, I'm pretty sure that it will never be my favorite stripping tool.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I was kind of hoping this was another spam post. LOL

Seriously, thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out.

Has anyone tried that oscillator tool from Dremel? It has a triangle shape on the end. Harbor Freight sells one for $39. I wonder if this will remove staples from upholstery?

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on June 15, 2010, 04:45:16 pm

Hey Gene, if you placed a "Strippers Wanted" ad in the classifieds, you might get some interesting responses. :o
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

hdflame

Quote from: gene on June 15, 2010, 04:45:16 pm

Seriously, thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out.

Has anyone tried that oscillator tool from Dremel? It has a triangle shape on the end. Harbor Freight sells one for $39. I wonder if this will remove staples from upholstery?

Gene

I asked that same question a while back.  Harbor Freight sells two of those tools, one on sale for about $34.95 and the variable speed version for about 10-15 dollars more.  I thoght it would work good for cutting off staples flush, then tapping them down, but none of the blades seem like they're listed for metal cutting.  The one I've seen advertised on TV shows them cutting through nails!

That upholstery tool looks like it would be awkward to use.  I'd like to see a video of someone actually using it.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

byhammerandhand

I have one of the Fein Multi-masters.   I got it a number of years ago for detail sanding, but I found out it is not real helpful for that.  Besides gumming up (stripping and refinishing wood), it tended to leave tracks.  I have heard that trim carpenters love these things for fitting out trim moulding and cutting internal holes.

I do have some of the accessory blades and one is bi-metal made for wood and metal.   I have never tried it for removing staples, but based on how it works, I don't think it would work all that well.   The blade oscillates something like 20,000 OPM in a 3 degree arc.   The good thing is that if you touch your skin, unless you are really applying a lot of pressure, your skin will just vibrate with it and not cut yourself.

Since the Fein patent ran out last year, Rockwell, Bosch, Dremel, Crapsman, and Harbor Freight all have their own versions.  Rockwell's web site has a short info-video on what it can do:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYUGMS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=d0506ba8-5bff-4e60-ae58-e3664418fdaf&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A1&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001EYUGMI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00TK2D351VSG5RJCNGTK
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison