Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:13:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Any experience with Softside Vinyl collection?

Started by snowpea, June 15, 2010, 06:35:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snowpea

Hello all!  I've been hunkered down working on seats for a 67 GTO and a 78 Nova.  For the 78 Nova I used a mix of Aerotex tweed and Softside Nevada Scarlet vinyl from J.Ennis fabric.  I have used vinyls from the Softside collection before but this time I am totally unimpressed by the durability.  It's the first time I used the Nevada subset of the collection.   While making the cover it was easily marked and nicked.  I even went thru the trouble of putting duck tape over the roughest part of the frame to minimize wear through.  The vinyl is lighter in color where "stuff" is pushing from behind a little such as the pipping end in some spots.  I am afraid the customer will be back shortly with repairs.  Any thoughts.

baileyuph

Same experience, quality of materials today (vinyls) not the same.  Quality vinyls are spotty, watch for an occasional value and buy whole roll.  That has been our strategy, of course can't always get the color.

Softside isn't cheap, so don't know what to say except is this an extension of marketing what people like instead of what they need?  Older vinyls years back had more body but weren't as soft. 

Beautiful work!

Doyle

hdflame

They look great!  Did you re-use the metal trim pieces on the backs or is there somewhere that has new?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

snowpea

I reused the trim pieces.  Each piece has two pins at the back that push through a metal plate with two small holes and an "x" cut through the metal.  They are fairly hard to take apart and hard to put back together but they are tough and of the 12 pieces I removed none broke.  I used a trim panel removal tool to pry them apart. 

Lynn

Call your rep. Explain to them your issues they are usually very responsive to complaints about quality. 
I should know I reduced my business quite a bit because I wasn't happy with service and some products. I got calls from my Rep's area manager and the big cahoona himself (Mr Ennis) - mind you that was because I used to be one of their bigger clients in the past! Anyway, call and voice your complaints and I'm sure you'll get a credit for any materials you have to buy again.

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

Bliss

I only use stuff that gives me a problems once. 

I would stick to products iam happy with that make life profitable

bobbin

The only times I've used the stuff from the Softside Vinyl offerings has been for free cushions in a maritime application.  I've never had any trouble with it, but then again, I've never had to deal with a metal framework that might poke or wear through it!

I did notice that it was stretchier in working than Nautolex is (markedly "softer" hand), and I had to pay attention to how much I pulled the pieces when I was applying cording, boxings, etc.. 

In your application, I'd be nervous, too. 

snowpea

Don't take me wrong, I love working with that stuff because it is so soft and pliable but I guess I should stay away from it on metal frames.  Thanks for your inputs thus far.

wind_rose_2

The softside collection is just that a collection of different vinyls from different manufacturers..on of which is SPRADLING which l absolutely love working with.
Dave

R.A.F. CaNvAs

Yeah just a little , but it made my eyes go funny !

:'(

Edward1018

- I Digged this thread to save it for future

Regards

Edward