Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:35:03 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Finishing off coil zips.

Started by Grebo, June 14, 2010, 06:28:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Hi,
I usually use #10 moulded zips on my covers & welding the ends with an extra tooth in  ;D , but am just doing one with #10 coil zipping. How are you all finishing the open ends off ?

regalman190

Do you mean coil for smiley windows? If you do, I melt the last few teeth and then sew my trim fabric over it.
Regal Canvas

Grebo

June 14, 2010, 07:17:26 am #2 Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:36:11 am by Grebo
Nah, at the bottom edge of a panel/side curtain. Like a doorway.

regalman190

I use the stainless stops. Manart now carries a snap on stop in black or white. Expensive though!

Can I ask why you use coil zippers for a panel or curtain? I use separating (jacket) style for these.
Regal Canvas

Grebo

To be honest  :-[ I ran out of moulded & this has to be finnished by tomorrow.  ???
So I am using what is to hand. But it does have a curved door way which the coil takes better than the moulded.  ::)
The enclosure slides on the 'keder' all in one piece, it needs to because there is no overhang to tuck it up under & the keder makes the water seal.
So I guess I will have to bind the ends with some vinyl or something.

Pikachu

June 14, 2010, 01:25:34 pm #5 Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:33:33 pm by Pikachu
Flame the raw edge so the zipper tape doesn't fray, then wrap a piece of 3/4" double fold binding over the end and sew it down.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|--| <----- fold across teeth so it acts as zipper stop.
Zipper tape ^                                                                           Binding ^

fragged8

hiya

cut a small piece of material about twice the width of the zipper half and about 1 cm tall and as you get to the
end of sewing the zip fold the piece in half and sew it over the teeth.

most covers here are done like that even the delrin zips ??

JuneC

Quote from: Pikachu on June 14, 2010, 01:25:34 pm
Flame the raw edge so the zipper tape doesn't fray, then wrap a piece of 3/4" double fold binding over the end and sew it down.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|--| <----- fold across teeth so it acts as zipper stop.
Zipper tape ^                                                                           Binding ^

Yup. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

OK, thanks, nothing special then  ;D

baileyuph

You will do fine on any of these methods, do it in a compatible color.  The situation is something like mind over matter; "you don't mind it won't matter." :)

Doyle

fragged8

hiya

there is another way i use sometimes.

When you get to the bottom of the zipper leave it an inch or so long and turn it 90 deg
so that it sews along the bottom edge of the cover, the slides don't like to past a 90 deg turn.

Rich

hdflame

Quote from: fragged8 on June 15, 2010, 11:51:04 am
hiya

there is another way i use sometimes.

When you get to the bottom of the zipper leave it an inch or so long and turn it 90 deg
so that it sews along the bottom edge of the cover, the slides don't like to past a 90 deg turn.

Rich

We have some traffic safety vests that are finished that way.  I've got two to fix now, not because the way the zipper was finished, but mostly because the velcro they're sewed to comes unraveled on the edge.  Got one that the teeth are just falling off the zipper, it's not a coil zipper.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mike8560

for all my zipper stops I fint it too slow to do the melted tooth thing and it burns my nose.  the stainless stops are cool but also time consuming and I hacnt seen any yet for a coil zip. I cut a strip of matching 3/4" binding and wrap the end I learned this from some OEM cover i installed for a dealor years ago i stuck with it.

When im doing a u zipper / smiley I end my coild zipper right into a seam so its complely unseen.

hdflame

Mike, Do you have a pic of the first method you described?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mike8560

the melted tooth thing? what you do is snip off one or two teeth from some scrap zipper tape. then push them into the teeth at the end of the good zipper then take your hotknife and melt the sides welding the teeth inplace. I can take a pic tomorow   if you like?