Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 12:26:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to slow down your industrial sewing machine

Started by andre1975, June 10, 2010, 05:52:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on June 07, 2011, 06:26:42 pm
Quote from: jsquail on June 07, 2011, 11:26:41 am
220v 3/4hp 1725 rpm 3 phase motor.
Allen Bradley 3/4hp Variable  frequency drive 110v input/3 phase 220v output.
Berringer Guitar volume control pedal.

The ultimate in sewing machine motor speed adjustment from a pedal and all the punch power you need to sew through several layers of materials. No motor running all the time.

I can't find info. on this motor.  Got a link where I can see what it is?  It sound like a beast.

Similar motor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOULD-1-2-HP-3-PHASE-AC-MOTOR-1725-RPM-MODEL-8161196-01-/360371874825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e7d66c09#ht_2148wt_1139

When i was younger I worked in an automation control shop. went and looked at my setup again. its a 1/2 hp, my original clutched motor was 3/4. The 1/2 hp is slightly bigger than my 3/4 clutch motor was .

Here are pics of the motor and variable frequency drive(VFD). I didn't take a picture of the behringer pedal since I have attached the tables pedal to it. Not able to really see the behringer pedal. This setup allows me to effectively tune the motor from 50 hertz to 90 hertz which controls the top end speed of the motor. By running the motor at 50 hertz it slows the max rpm by about 8%. By running the motor at 90 hertz it adds approximately 50% to the top speed of the motor. I lose no torque or punch power(this also has a lot to do with the 3 phase motor too).  

The VFD also allows me to have the motor ramp up to speed over a specific amount of time (I hated the clutch motor for just this reason cause it was 5 billion RPM or nothing). So the foot pedal is nothing more than a large potentiometer. It maps speed to how far you push the pedal, much like the gas pedal in your car. The more you push the faster it goes, as you release it slows down. I can also set the ramp speed to speed up based on the amount of pedal is pushed.

Lastly, I have the VFD setup to instantly stop the motor when the pedal returns to its "home" position. No matter how fast I go, if I take  my foot off the pedal, it stops, dead. However, if i slowly back of the motor will slowly back off.

Once i got this thing setup, oh so beautiful. no more frustrating sewing. No more top fuel funny car sewing machine antics. The only pain to the whole thing was the mounting of the motor. Once i got it mounted and aligned the rest was easy peasy.

If i want to go back to that old sewing machine clutch feel with my setup all i need do is set the ramp up speed to 0 seconds and turn the frequency up to 90 hertz and "viola" and its back to top fuel funny car sewing!

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n549/G_Canvas/ef93ed1d.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n549/G_Canvas/21f9a66b.jpg

Foot Pedal can be found here:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCV100.aspx

I didn't just want to slow down my sewing machine. I wanted to be able to control it without having to concentrate on what my machine was going to do when i pushed the pedal. Now i just concentrate on the material that I'm sewing.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

JuneC

Holy cow :o  Never thought I'd see anyone use an Allen Bradley to control their sewing machine.  You write your own ladder logic?  Or do they use easier languages like Basic these days?  I'm always amazed at the breadth of talents on this board.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jsquail

its all in the VFD book. it was a pretty simple set up too.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

jsquail,

For the motor, I've seen motor mounts with belt tensioner, but your setup is VERY nice. 

Always cool to see what people come up withtheirhier own. 

My Dad can build almost anything using sewing machine parts, it's funny to see things around my parents house built or repaired with sewing part components! 

Woodworkers and machine shop guys I'm sure are no exception, as is the case here.

Just so some people know, there are greater choices of sub $200 available today more now than ever, but they are not the end all be of sewing.  There are, at a price, better options. 

jsquail

Thanks Gregg. The main reason i put it together like this is because i knew how to sew, but i couldn't waste time learning a machine while screwing up customers products and having "do-overs". Its just not cost effective. It has saved me countless "do-overs" over the standard clutch motor. Had i not know about the VFD's and 3 phase motors, the DC servo motor would have been my next choice. Not quite as "tuneable" ads what I have but it would have made a huge difference over the standard clutch motor. I put my motor setup together for about twice the price of a servo motor.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com