Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:00:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

PDQ's Completed Projects (Canvas)

Started by PDQ, June 02, 2010, 10:58:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

Wow, that looks great!  Nice work.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Twat of the North

Wow dude , So that's the kinda stuff you make using the old relic Singer K6.
nice stuff,   Are those windows streched on hot.? :o

PDQ

Quote from: Twat of the North on June 21, 2010, 01:19:48 pm

Wow dude , So that's the kinda stuff you make using the old relic Singer K6.
nice stuff,   Are those windows streched on hot.? :o

No stretchy stretchy, it's all in the cut. ;)

Here's an enclosure I made back in November of last year. The clients wanted to use their existing bimini and Sprayhood  as part of a full cockpit enclosure. Another requirement was to have the Port & Stbd detachable panels/curtains inset approximately 24 inches from the outer edge of the existing top and a windowed infill to the hood. The purpose of the inset was to reduce an overly box type effect that would've occurred if the outer edge was used. However, even with the inset there was still a concern that the enclosure would still be too boxy to their liking so it was decided to soften the lines by contouring the top & bottom edges of the panels by following the contour of the cockpit area and rounding off the windows, thus making it more pleasing to the eye.

Grebo

There's a thing, I am doing the exact same thing on a moody 35  :P

PDQ

Quote from: Grebo on June 25, 2010, 03:47:13 am
There's a thing, I am doing the exact same thing on a moody 35  :P

Hows about that then.  8)

Be sure to let us know how you get on with it and post if you encounter any problems, as I may have gone through the same thing and might be able to make suggestions. :tup:

PDQ

July 15, 2010, 12:11:50 am #20 Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:14:36 am by PDQ
This was completed about 4 weeks ago. Having seen the enclosure I made for his neighbour the owner decided to have a new one too. :)

I made a few changes compared to his old cover, like raising the the fwd bar a fair bit to remove the hideous looking front panel, why they do that I have no idea, do they actually think it looks good having a fwd panel that is so low it ends up difficult to see out of whilst standing at the helm. Maybe the cover was made in a country full of midgets. ;)

Before:

Template:

After:

I've also got a few shots of the aft section completed, but I can't seem to find them atm. Will post later.

PDQ

R.A.F. CaNvAs

Aww aint they sweet...! ;D... little ones
Any luck with the rubber extrusion ?  Recycle the old one eh..
  later

PDQ

Quote from: R.A.F. CaNvAs on July 15, 2010, 02:23:27 pm
Aww aint they sweet...! ;D... little ones
Any luck with the rubber extrusion ?  Recycle the old one eh..
  later

Aye, plan B was put into motion, but it soon became plan B:1 then B:2. Anyway, It's all done and dusted now and fit tomoz. 

PDQ

September 06, 2010, 04:30:15 pm #24 Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:57:06 am by PDQ
It's been a while since I last updated.

Warning: A number of images are of a higher resolution and as such larger in file size.

Odds & Sods:

R.A.F. CaNvAs

Camera distortion ?
So are the pix  "odds-sods #23 and #24 Two different boats,  From the thumbs it looks like the
spray dodgers are elongated ( on the vertical axis )
Nope,  They still look strange in large format.
Difficult on the smaller boats to get the practicality and the perspective  cock-on
Anyhow just how I like em'  Good and tight and wrinkle free  ;)

PDQ

No distortion, just weird looking :)

I'll add a few comments to them later...

Peppy

Top drawer! Even the wierd looking ones. You really like the inlaid windows eh? We build ours with pieces and seams. Why do you like that way? Aside from the groovy curvy corners I mean.

But really amazes me is how symetrical they all are when you build the whole pattern. (I love the pattern picture BTW) I had to make a whole pattern on a dodger recently (the first guy installed it drunk and the snaps were all over the map) it took me forever to get the lines right. Do you draw good lines on one side and trace it on the table?

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

PDQ

Quote from: Peppy on September 07, 2010, 05:38:02 pm
Top drawer! Even the wierd looking ones. You really like the inlaid windows eh? We build ours with pieces and seams. Why do you like that way? Aside from the groovy curvy corners I mean.

But really amazes me is how symetrical they all are when you build the whole pattern. (I love the pattern picture BTW) I had to make a whole pattern on a dodger recently (the first guy installed it drunk and the snaps were all over the map) it took me forever to get the lines right. Do you draw good lines on one side and trace it on the table?

Thanks, Peppy.
I believe my sprayhoods/dodgers are constructed no differently than most other hoods I've seen. Perhaps when saying that yours are built in "pieces and seams" you are reffering to enclosures? If so, then yes, I do mine differently to most of you guys/gals in the US, but I don't think I'm alone in using this method, apart from making mine a little more groovy than the norm. ;)

Why do I do it this way, Well, how long have you got? I certainly don't do it for effiecncy in terms of labour and material costs as I know you guys would wipe the floor with me in that regard, but for me it's not just about that, it's about desgning a certain style that slightly stands out from the norm that I can call my own.

In order for me to continue with this I really need to know more about how and why you guys/gal do it the way you do.

As for templating, I don't use the dot method (clearly ;) ) and I don't know anyone who does here on the south coast of England. I personally prefer to see the overall design at the template stage, a kind of WYSIWYG that the customer and I can discuss so that the they can see exactly what they are getting, and for me to aim for, of course.

All lines are drawn at the template stage with the odd strike mark for reference. Window lines are very roughly drawn in for guidance and to give the customer an idea of how they will look like. All template lines are cleaned up at the cutting stage, laid out, and transfered to cloth.

Sounds easy when putting it into words. ;)

Thanks for posting. :tup:

Jerry.

Peppy

Yes we build our dodgers like you do (not as groovy, mind) with the inlaid windows. Cutting a fabric blank, sewing windows on and cutting the hole out. Dodgers are nearly the only tops we build like this. And afterthought windows. And like you I make a WYSIWYG paper bag boat top. Only difference really is I make 1/2 of it. Lately though we've come up with a hybrid, inlaid till the bottom of the window then a topstiched seam where it meets the cloth. Worked once!

I draw all the lines for seams or zippers in their (mostly) finished position. At the cutting table; seams are marked 'yes' both sides of the line to add 1/2" seam, lines at the snaps are 'no' for cut and bind, zippers are a 'yes/no' on either side to create overlap. We build all the panels out of several little pieces, seam them and topstitch them.

The reason we make 1/2 patterns (aside from less pattern work) is that on the cutting table we cut 2 layers of sunbrella out at once with the hotknife. Centerlines on the pattern are laid on the fold of doubled over cloth. It's also half the work cutting out. Reference points are symmetrical so left and right isn't much of a problem. Do you ever do something like this? I can't believe nobody else does it like this. I guess you have to make 1/2 a pattern for it to be beneficial though.

I really don't understand the DOT method personally. Seems like it's making life a lot tougher than it needs to be. I can't believe people can make something that looks good without seeing it first. I guess I'm too dumb and have to see it to believe it.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering