Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:56:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dealer Discounts?

Started by Kathy0701, May 17, 2010, 05:33:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Again Doyle is right.  The marinas bear the liability for damage to property in their marina.  Most will ask for proof of insurance for your to work there at all.  Even if the products are produced off site, you could still bang up someone's boat by hitting it with the end of a bimini top pole, or start drilling/installing snap studs in the wrong boat (I've heard of it happening).  Around here, there are very few DIY marinas/boat yards.  Almost all have to approve every single contractor that sets foot on their premises.

As for charging, they consider themselves a retail provider of boat services, including mechanical, fiberglass and canvas/upholstery.  They buy those services at wholesale prices and mark them up.  It's a big part of their income stream.  If they're marking up the going rates by 30% and other marinas only mark up 10%, they'll lose business to their competitors.  Boat owners have the option of shopping around if they think the price they have to pay is too high.  I give my marinas and others in the business (like outboard mechanics that give me LOTS of referrals) a wholesale price that is just slightly lower than market rates.  I save money on those deals by not having to advertise, or go give quotes that I never hear from again, etc.  I pass that savings on to them in the form of a discount. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Kathy0701

Hi,

In most cases, the marina is giving you the privilege of working on boats that are on their property.  I find this practice questionable, and in some states it is illegal, but this case is completely different.  This is a boat the dealer repossessed and will sell once it's got canvas.  What miffed me in this case was that, in speaking with my competitors, I learned I am the only one that ever heard of such a thing.  I'm thinking it's because I'm the newest one around.  I'm convinced the guy was trying to pull a fast one.

I understand they want to buy wholesale and sell retail, but I'm not budging.  I think it's a little disingenuous for him not to let me know about which terms I would be bidding ahead of time.  And I also think that if I am held to a discount, so should everyone else be. 

If he thought my bid was too high, he could have said that...

Kathy

Pikachu

I'd almost be willing to bet that this whole marina-charging-contractors-to-work-there thing is a violation of the RICO act.

Kathy0701

Interesting...

just got a call back from the dealer that wanted the discount...I told him I wasn't adjusting my price and I also told him that in speaking with my colleagues that they had never heard of it....

so he said he's going to run it by the big guy & see what he says...

Something inside of me says I don't want to do this job at all....or maybe none of theirs.  This might be dangerous, but I really don't want it...

I think when he calls back, I am going to tell him that I'm sorry, but I can't get it done until August!!!

Kathy
PS I know this may come back to bite me, but life's too short for this kind of garbage!

Kathy0701

No.  I am going to be upfront with him.

I'm going to say that I won't be doing this job, will forget he ever brought up the "fictional" discount and on the next job we'll pretend like nothing ever happened and start from square one.

It's only fair that I don't play games and be truthful.  Then if he doesn't want me anymore, I guess that's the way it goes.

Have a great day, everyone!

Kathy

Mojo

I don't blame you Kathy.

There is an old saying that my father used to tell me ( all the time )

" surround yourself with good people and good things happen to you ".

I just have no use for liars and cheats and I myself would walk away from these people.
It is so hard to deal with people you do not trust so I just avoid them. It makes you wonder what the next drama would be when they call you for another job.

Something tells me you really do not need their work anyways and you will do fine walking out on them.
I wouldn't worry about it anymore and keep moving forward. Chalk this entire episode as a great learning experience.

Chris

MinUph

July 09, 2010, 11:46:51 am #21 Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:54:29 am by MinUph
Sicking my nose in on an old posting but it is relevant to anyone searching the subject.

When I do an estimate it is a figure for materials, labor and a little for the business. In other words it is the price. Doing work business to business is no different.

In regards to Kathy's original post. If you offer a good job and don't gouge the client. You should make a decent living at what you do. Any less and you are loosing. In today's climate the trades are feeling this badly. For many years now the trades have lost.

Lets take back what we are due. Don't undercut everyone else and bid responsibly.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website