Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

classic chevy reproduction interiors

Started by Rodinsider, March 01, 2010, 04:47:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodinsider

Hey there guys and gals, I 've just installed a couple of different original interiors in 55-57 chevys. The kits were bought by my customers through a local retailer that specializes in these cars. He orders the kits from Danchuck. I was complaining to him about the poor quality of vinyl used in these kits, so he says that he'll try some different suppliers. SO, I was wondering if any of you have had any good or satisfactory results with these kits, and if so, who was the manufacturer?  I do know that Danchuck is the supplier, and not the actual manufacturer. They also source their parts from different manufacturers, I believe. The headliners seem to be pretty good quality. The extra vinyl that was sent to cover the seat skirts was like cardboard, so I had to order some Montana soft.
Also, How much are you charging to install a complete interior ?

chevman57

Your 2 best bets are Cars,Inc. and Ciadella Interiors. I have heard nothing but good about the Ciadella Interiors. I am on a tri five site so we hear about them very often.
Terry

Rodinsider

Thanx Terry. I believe C.A.R.S. is the one that Danchuck uses. But I could be wrong.
When the customer brought the car and all the boxes of stuff, I opened the headliner box to find nothing but the windlace inside ! The flat box that said "package tray" had a behind the seat close out panel , made to fit god knows what, and the chrome for the doorpanels was for a different body style. Three things that had to be re ordered. That cost me a lot of time.

chevman57

I understand that one. Ciadellas is now back in business under the ownership of the original owner. Seems like a nice guy. And several guys from our old car site have installed their kits with good revues.
Terry

Peteyboy

There are only two manufacturers for the Chevrolet interiors. Ciadella Interiors and Cars. Ciadella has the same experienced quality cutters and sewers for over 25 years, that have done no other interior manufacturing - only Chevrolets.  Samples gladly sent, discounts to the trade. www.ciadellainteriors.com, Phone 1-800-875-8390 or email sales@ciadellainteriors.com

baileyuph

The reproduction interiors purchased today from anyone is not as good as the OEM were for these cars back in the 50's. 

On a relative scale, the reproduced colors and appearance of the kits from  CARS are as close to the original colors as anyones.

Vinyls made today are no match in quality these cars came from GM with.  There might be an exception but in general that has been my experience and I have worked on these cars since they were new.

Doyle

ncydmn

Next time you install one of these cardboard aftermarket interiors keep a heat gun and or steamer close.  They are you best friend when installing these older interiors.  The original vinyls were even thicker and less pliable than the aftermarket (if thats possible).  I use to tell my brother, when he was complaining about ill fitting covers, that 90% of installing the cover is making it fit.  He hated that comment but now, 20 years latter, understands what I was saying.

If you are fortunate enough to live where the sun shines most of the time, try placing the covers in the sun for an hour or so.  This will get them soft and pliable.  Then keep them warm when installing.  It does take patience and manipulation to get a good fit and look, but so did the originals.  Remember the cloth backed vinyls of the 30's and 40's?  This stuff was like working with sheet metal.

Another problem is the replacement of the pad.  With custom seats we build the pad then pattern the cover off the seat.  Here you are trying to make the pad fit a pre-made cover.  A lot of variables that affect a good install.

I have used both suppliers mentioned and have had good luck.  They are the only two I use for Tri-Fives.
I may be mistaken but I believe there is some history behind the two companies.  I have a Ciadella book dated 1971 and when I call the phone number on it I get CARS Inc.  Coincidence?