Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

-STICKY-Picture posting primer for newbies, or anyone that needs a little help.

Started by hdflame, November 11, 2009, 06:20:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

I originally sent this to KineticComfort, but thought I would post it for the benefit of anyone who needs a little help posting pictures of all those awesome upholstery jobs!  A little bit selfish, since I like to see them too!  

If anyone wants to add their suggestions, feel free!  Here it is.

Here's what I do:

We like BIG pictures, so make sure you use the "IMG Thumb" option so that we can click on the picture for a BIGGER picture to L@@K at details.

1.   Go to www.photobucket.com and open a free account.

2.   Save the picture you want to upload in a folder that is easy to find in your "My Pictures" folder.  I usually make a folder labeled "Sewing" or "Upholstery" then put subfolders of each project to make them easy to find, i.e in your case one labeled "Motorcycle Seats".

3.   Sign into your photobucket account and click on the "upload images and video" button.  It's a big blue button.  It will bring up a screen that allows  you to navigate to the folder you have saved on your computer. Hint: If you're uploading more than one pic to photobucket you can select the first pic by left clicking on the file, then to select more pics, hold down the "Shift" key on your keyboard while left clicking the last picture in the folder that you want, all of the pictures from the first to the last will be selected.  If you want to pick and choose your pictures, click each picture while holding the "Ctrl" button.  Only the pictures you click on while holding "Ctrl" will be selected.  I don't usually try to upload more than 5 or 6 at a time because it takes longer.

4.   After uploading your pics, and by the way, you can make folders on photobucket to store your pictures and make them easier to find and view later.  Plus if you have all of the pics of the same topic saved in the same folder, you have the option of sharing the entire folder with friends.  Back to posting your pics....When you sign in you'll see a link at the top that says "my albums", when your cursor goes over it, there will be several links drop down, go to "albums and upload".  On the left side you will see all of the albums you've created or if you just uploaded without making an album they'll show up on that page.

5.   On photobucket you have the HTML code automatically generated for you below each picture.  The one I use on the upholstery site is labeled "IMG Thumb".  Copy and paste that code in your post on the site.  

6.   For each picture you add, copy and paste the code in the post.  I usually hit enter each time, so I drop down to the next line in the post for the new image code.  You can preview your post before posting to the site to make sure it's like you want.

7.   If you want, after posting each image code, hit enter to drop down to another line, and add a caption to tell about each picture as you upload.  Trust me, do this each time because it's much easier to add a caption after each picture than trying to go back into the HTML code later and find the right place to insert it.  HTML code has to be very specific.  If you screw it up, you'll just wind up seeing the code in the post rather than the picture you want it to point to.

Here's a picture thumb so you can see how it would look.  You can click on the picture for a bigger picture in photobucket.

Hope this helps,
Bobby
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

ragtacker

thank you, Bobby!  As one of the technologically-challenged here, I really appreciate the step-by-step! ;D
Jan

bobbin

I have a picturetrail account.  And my difficulty was in which option I should select for insertion in the text for a reply to this site.  I "winged it" and it was wrong.  My linked phot was small, not "clickable", and was completely useless.  I've not tried again since. 

It was a while ago now, but I don't recall being able to see my selcted photo in the preview of my post.  That ability is customary on other sites I use regularly. 

I don't understand how to "read" the code that precedes the photo and, therefore, cannot select the option most useful for the site that will receive it.  Make sense?

hdflame

Quote from: bobbin on November 11, 2009, 02:28:56 pm
I have a picturetrail account.  And my difficulty was in which option I should select for insertion in the text for a reply to this site.  I "winged it" and it was wrong.  My linked phot was small, not "clickable", and was completely useless.  I've not tried again since. 

It was a while ago now, but I don't recall being able to see my selcted photo in the preview of my post.  That ability is customary on other sites I use regularly. 

I don't understand how to "read" the code that precedes the photo and, therefore, cannot select the option most useful for the site that will receive it.  Make sense?

Makes complete sense.

That's why I suggested using photobucket.  I am not very good at HTML either.  When I first tried posting on here, I just kept trying a different one until I got the HTML code that I wanted.  There is 5 or 6 different choices, depending on where you're posting and what you're after.  It still took me about 3 or 4 tries before getting it! ::)

When previewing, you can see your pictures if you have the correct code.  Again, that's why I suggested adding any descriptions or captions before pasting in the next code.  Once it's there, it's time consuming for me to figure out where one ends and the next begins.???
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

My linked phot was small, not "clickable", and was completely useless.  I've not tried again since. 

there is some codeing at this forum that if you try to post a normal sized pic, not a thumbnail clickable it will automaticly make it small.

hdflame

Quote from: Mike8560 on November 11, 2009, 06:02:37 pm
My linked phot was small, not "clickable", and was completely useless.  I've not tried again since. 

there is some codeing at this forum that if you try to post a normal sized pic, not a thumbnail clickable it will automaticly make it small.

I'm sure they do that to conserve space on the server.  Pictures take up a lot of memory.  This site actually allows more attachments than other forums I visit.  On Delphi, after just a few attachments, it will tell you that you've exceeded your limit.  Then you have to remove some of your previous attachments before it allows you to have more.  This leads to attachments not always being in older posts when you do a search.  If the picture really pertains to what the post was about, it can mean it's almost useless without the picture.
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

hdflame

Quote from: ragtacker on November 11, 2009, 02:20:59 pm
thank you, Bobby!  As one of the technologically-challenged here, I really appreciate the step-by-step! ;D
Jan

You're welcome!  I may not be able to help with all of your sewing questions, so I help where I can. ;D
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Saddleman

Some image upload practice   ;D 

I used this "IMG]http://(Photo web address here)[/IMG" with brackets replacing the quotation marks in the code.  Although it doesn't create a linked thumbnail.  The forum software does force the smaller size.  I even tried to go back and edit the code to increase the size and it changes it back when saved.  Grrr!!!

A project saddle from last week.

fragged8

hiya

Whos in contact with the admin ? perhaps this thread could be made a sticky that stays on top ?

regards
Rich

hdflame

Saddleman,

I like the triple stitching on the seat in contrasting colors.  That is a French Seam, correct?  Did you use some backing behind it when you sewed the contrasting colors?

Is that a stock seat foam, with just an upgraded cover?

Looks good!
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

kat

Quote from: fragged8 on November 13, 2009, 02:28:12 pm
hiya

Whos in contact with the admin ? perhaps this thread could be made a sticky that stays on top ?

regards
Rich

I agree..where is the admin? A sticky would be nice!

Saddleman

Bobby, Thanks!  It is french seams, and I use bias tape to back the seams up.  I find it works best for making all the curves and not bunching up. 

As for the foam, I cut out the riders position stock foam, put in a gel insert and orthopedic memory foam and then shape.  I also use rebonded foam to build up the rear and sides for more support and then sculpt the pillion part to make it a solo saddle. 

Here's an image of a stock seat for comparison.

http://www.dailymotos.com/media/news/2008/01/buell/DM81a508a70de9a57545833a3b1c256a8a.jpg

cboy

I opened a photobucket account to try this but I only get 4 options with my picture there:  Email & IM, Direct Link, HTML Code, and Img Code.

However, when I click on your thumb of the helmet carrier (?) and view that  picture on photobucket, I see those four choices PLUS I see HTML Thumb, IMG Thumb, and Flash Code.

Are you on a "Pro" account at photobucket or is there some other reason I wouldn't have the same choices as you?  Without the "IMG Thumb" option available on photobucket, I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a clickable thumb here on this board.

BTW, thanks for creating this tutorial.  Hopefully it can result in an easy way for all (and particularly us newbies) to provide access to larger scale pictures.

cboy

Sorry about that, but I just nosed around and found the answer and Photobucket.  For others who might encounter this problem do the following:

Above your picture at Photobucket, click on the "Share" tab.
Then click on the "Get Link Code" tab.
Then scroll down to the section labeled IMG for BB's and Forums
Click the box to include the Image Thumbnail option

The IMG Thumb option will then come up along side any picture you view in your album.

hdflame

Quote from: cboy on November 15, 2009, 03:09:09 pm
Sorry about that, but I just nosed around and found the answer and Photobucket.  For others who might encounter this problem do the following:

Above your picture at Photobucket, click on the "Share" tab.
Then click on the "Get Link Code" tab.
Then scroll down to the section labeled IMG for BB's and Forums
Click the box to include the Image Thumbnail option

The IMG Thumb option will then come up along side any picture you view in your album.

Glad you found the answer.  It's been a while since I first opened my account at Photobucket.  I don't have a pro or paid account, just the free one.  I don't remember having to do anything special to get the extra code options to come up, but like I said, it's been a while.  Glad it worked for you, i want to SEE more pictures! ;D

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special