Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:43:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tech Tip "Installing Gel-Pac in Motorcycle seat."

Started by ncydmn, October 12, 2009, 09:58:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ncydmn

I very seldom start posts so I thought I might contribute a Tech Tip.  This is a "How To" on installing a Gel-Pad in a motorcycle seat.  I have shared this with a few on here and they seemed to enjoy it. 

If this is something you would like to keep please copy the page and save it to a folder on your computer or burn it to a disk.  I am limited to 500 pictures on my web site so I will remove these pictures in a few weeks and the link will no longer work. 

You can only get to this page through this link on this forum.  It is not accessible through any of my web pages.  And hey, while your there sign my guest book please.  You won't receive any spam or the like.  I don't keep any contact info.  Just nice to see who's looking and where you are from.  Thanks for looking, Roy.   

http://roykeithclassics.com/Bike_seat__tec_tip.html

mike802

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

RussW

Great "How To". My brother-in-law owns a Harley repair shop and I've been doing the recover of his customers seats and questioned about doing the gel seat inserts. Can you tell me who sells the paks wholesale and what would you recommed for a charge on the example you did?
Thanks
Russ

Mike8560

GReat DIY Roy. What make bike was that seat off?

ncydmn

October 20, 2009, 07:48:19 am #4 Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:14:15 pm by ncydmn
     I think this seat was a V-Star.   A seat like this without making a new cover can be done in 1.5 hours.  The back pad would add .5 to 1 hour.  total charge I get is 160 to 180 for front and 240 to 260 for both. 
     The price would be much higher for a new cover depending on what was done.  Roy.

hdflame

Quote from: ncydmn on October 20, 2009, 07:48:19 am
     I think this seat was a V-Star.   A seat like this without making a new cover can be done in 1.5 hours.  The back pad would add .5 to 1 hour.  total charge I get is 160 to 180 for front and 240 to 260 for both. 
     The price would be much higher for a new cover depending on what was done.  Roy.

Roy,

Thank you sooo much for the how-to.  I have it saved and want to use that on my stock Road King seat that I have apart right now.

Can you tell me your supplier for the gel and memory foam?  What are the specs on the memory foam you order, or the link/description?  I want to make sure I get foam that is firm enough.  I've read about medical grade memory foam.  I'm just wondering about the density.

Thanks again!
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

ncydmn

The Gel-Pacs are from Pro-Pad.  The memory foam is from Skandia.  Skandia also has a very firm foam that works great for custom chopper seats.  Excellent bonding caracteristics. It also sands and shapes very well.  It is called "Insolite".  Fair warning though, it is very expensive.  These suppliers are all whosale only.  Hope it helps. 

tobyjuarez

That post is awesome. I copied it the first day you put it up and forgot to thank you for taking the time to do that.....Thanks!

hdflame

Quote from: ncydmn on December 10, 2009, 06:56:27 pm
     The Gel-Pacs are from Pro-Pad.  The memory foam is from Skandia.  Skandia also has a very firm foam that works great for custom chopper seats.  Excellent bonding caracteristics. It also sands and shapes very well.  It is called "Insolite".  Fair warning though, it is very expensive.  These suppliers are all whosale only.  Hope it helps. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm getting ready to get all my business numbers to make me legit!
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

wayneo

I am really glad to see these great pictures of this process.  I am only in the business for about a year now and have done mostly furniture but recently I recovered a couple of ATV seats and they turned out really well.  I would like to do more like your work here, so I have two questions.  What is a job like this worth and second and a much broader question how have you marketed yourself to get these kinds of jobs in the door?
Thanks for the information.

ncydmn

How much is this worth?  That is the question we here a lot.  What it is worth, what you want to charge, and what will charge is quite different.  There are a lot of variables, your area, labor rate, overhead, and product markup.  I am not eluding the question but each area is a little different.

I bill 1.5 hours for a solo seat like this.  If the rear seat pad is done at the same time I bill 2.0 hours total.  My labor rate is $50.00 an hour.  That is labor only on a seat with no cover alterations.  The Gel-Pac's and foam can add  $125 to $185 depending on size and type used.

As for marketing myself.  I have attended a local car show for nearly 20 years.  I run a display add in a specialty car "for sale" magazine mostly to draw potential customers to my web site.  My best marketing tool has been my customers and them displaying there cars at shows throughout the neighboring cities.  I live in a small town of 4200 so most of my work comes from out of town. 

My parents started an upholstery shop in 1961.  I came along in '62 so you could say I have a few years invested in this field.  I am also a street rodder at heart.  I have specialized in the custom field for over 20 years.  I hope my work speaks for itself. 

If there was any advice for marketing your-self in the custom field it would be to complete the job in a timely manner.  The people that spend the kind of money they do on cars like are being built today don't want a shop that takes six months to a year to get the job done.
That is one of the things I am known for.  It doesn't matter to me if it's a 05 Mustang convertible or a 47 Ford my labor rate is the same.  I book the job and that is what gets worked on.  The only thing about the 05 is I can beat flat rate and that makes for better profit margin.  It can be easy for high volume shops to, "go for" or need the cash flow first. 
I however, after years, have been blessed with the ability to be a bit more selective.  That, unfortunately, only comes with years of experience.  Oh to be able to work like I did in my late twenties but have the knowledge I do now!  Then we didn't have internet with people willing to share trade "secrets" with the competition.   The trade secret is run!!  Run far away!   You will never be a rich man in this occupation.  It is to labor intensive.   But you will never be bored that's for sure.  I think most of us love what we do.  That's what I keep telling myself.  Roy.

JASS

I have heard about this jel pac process - does it really make a difference in your riding comfort?  I do mostly boat upholstery & wonder if it would benefit in my process, especially in my racing customers.

ncydmn

Most of my customer love them.  I have only had a couple that said they didn't feel any difference.