Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Match cushion circa 1990

Started by Ingarden, April 27, 2021, 10:30:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingarden

We recently bought a vintage sofa online that is a match to one we've had for almost 30 years.  Cosmetically they both look perfect and identical (though in different fabrics), but the cushion on our original is almost 10 pounds heavier than the cushion on the vintage one we just bought. The thickness is the same, but our original is MUCH more substantial and more comfortable.  The sofas were originally pretty expensive and well made (Hancock & Moore ball & claw Chippendale).  The new vintage one looks like it has been professionally reupholstered, and I suspect they changed the cushion.  I'd like to replace/upgrade it to come as close to our heavier original as possible.  I don't know if modern foam and dacron would do the trick --it almost feels as if our original might have springs in the cushion.  It's hard for me to tell (I'm an experienced seamstress but a novice upholster).  Any idea on what a maker like Hancock & Moore might have used for sofa cushions in 1990?  Thanks for the help!