Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:19:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Older John Deere Tractor Seats

Started by baileyuph, April 22, 2020, 06:30:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I had a couple of these jobs come in for rebuild/reupholster.  I figured the springs would have to be
replaced - they did.

The closest spring to the originals was our Marshall coils.  But decided to rebuild with
very high foam instead (6 inch).  Found this in a very high quality foam and glad I did because it
is very strong.  Used a thinner foam of the same specification for the back rest.  Originality wasn't
an issue the customer insisted - durability was his priority.

Oh!  This was a 1942 John Deere, class C.  He still uses it to care for the mowing (whatever) on his
private estate acreage.

I built it strong and used an antique type vinyl (strong backing and stamped pattern - which was
actually used in some trucks during and after those years.

Never know what might come in through the business doors.  Kinda one of those jobs
that is interesting - due to using "repair techniques" which were different and analysis of the
old original tractor build-up (even though it was too far gone to save - by the way which was 49
coils).

This was not a furniture seat - but incorporated a quite a fit of the much older techniques used in
that work, which included natural fillers over the steel coils.

Those older craftsmen were great!

They were great at using resources of the era (the owner estimated to be over 75 years ago).

I like our sewing equipment better - developed since this tractor era - might add.

Anyone done something with build date of almost 100years?  I did find their techniques and
resources interesting.  Anyway, going forward, I do have a channel wing back chair to redo - the
original materials still on the chair.  I plan to do it when the work won't be rushed for I expect
another interesting experience - I love the chair in its original state which is not a "torn rag".
All materials used back then on this one - on a quick inspection - reveals all natural fillers also.

Work like this is fun - (keeps mind off  virus).

Hope all are well and able to enjoy their business.

Doyle