Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:34:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Holy tufted button, Batman.

Started by gene, April 07, 2020, 06:55:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

April 07, 2020, 06:55:06 pm Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:55:41 pm by gene
Tufted button came off a leather seat. The leather hole through which the twine goes through has enlarged so the tufted button gets pulled down inside the hole. I hand sewed the hole a bit to close it up but I am worried the button will work it's way down, spreading the hole apart again and fall through. There is a lot of tension on the button.

Can I use epoxy glue to glue the button the the leather? Will this be a permanent fix?

Thanks for your help.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

I don't want to talk you out of your first choice to repair and I guess it depends on the amount of work you're willing to put into this vs the amount you can charge.  Epoxy can work - gorrilla glue is also great for fabrics although watch the squeeze out - less is more. 
Sewing first is better but probably you're only catching the edge and it may not last.  In the Mohawk leather repair supplies they have a backing fabric that can be applied by heat with their liquid vinyl or without heat using their glue.  Depending on if you're removing the OB or using the tufting needle -
I would say remove the OB - glue on backing fabric - maybe a small piece of backing fabric in the front as well - put a few stitches - maybe even one or two same color blind stitches outside the diameter of the button - providing  customer isn't too demanding - the backing fabric is more relaxed than a stiff epoxy repair and it has tremendous hold.
You can also skirt using Mohawk's stuff and be creative using what's on hand to do the same thing.

gene

Thank you for the reply. I have had to fix a situation like this before. I thought the hand stitching would not hold because there is not much material. I was not sure if gluing as you described was a doable fix. Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It is a confidence builder.

I followed your directions of gluing a backing piece on. No time to get the Mohark but I've got it in my notes so the next time this comes up I'll plan on buying it to do the job.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

The button hole problem:  You guys encountering this problem - ever find the problem is
primarily due to the build-up behind the cushions, big people abuse, and things associated
with the build-up (spring, webbing and even frame support in general).

I have encountered an amount of this.  Then, to fix that type of problem (tear down being involved),
I just machine fix the hole problem.

I may not be fortunate to find the "issue" is merely a hole problem.

Under factory warranty, which is most of my (not all) work, the time is charged to them.  Even, a new
cover when things get unreliable.  If I don't, we know where the finger will point.

Good luck,
Doyle

65Buick

Interesting problem Gene. I'd be curious to see the details as I'm sure it will become more common.  You're welcome to post a pic on my FB page if you want.