Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:10:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

alternate media

Started by 65Buick, March 14, 2020, 05:39:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

It's kind of a bear to post images here, so wondering if anyone's using some different media that we can exchange more easily. I'd be open to opening a new group or whatever it takes on fb. Let me know.

SteveA

65 I know one thing for sure - when you come up with a good new idea - you are the chair person -
Send me the link when you're up and running
SA

MinUph

Why don't we just move to Facebook and create a group of the same name and lock it down to only business trades people. I think this is like that here. I don't want to run the group but would be happy to join.
  Or just use the group that exist now there. It is pretty simple to use and very easy to post whatever you want.
  I would definitely expect it to be private maybe even by invite only to keep the general public out.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I like our little group, and we all know each other.. I'll look into setting up a FB group.

kodydog

Your idea is a good one. I've myself have been very disgusted with the antiquated image posting system. And we all have seen the forum shrink from 100 active users to just a handful.

The Upholstery Forum is owned. I doubt if it is copyrighted. The owner pays a moderator, Inga, to upgrade and make sure we follow the rules. Inga is a techie, not an upholsterer. We all love her and some of the changes she made Has made this site more user friendly. Imaging is not one of them. I don't think its possible to upgrade imaging with this servers limited storage.

The owner advertises on the forum to help defer the costs. There are thousands of how too tips on the forum that hundreds of guests use weekly. If not for these guests I'm pretty sure this forum would have folded long ago. Back in the day Sofa Doc was the most prolific user. Often posting 5 or 6 times a day. He was a key element to keeping this site going. Haven't seen Sofa in awhile.

I think the forum was sold once. I cannot say who the new owner is but he likely can be found with a little research. You might try pitching the idea to him. My best guess is he has already thought of it. If he knew you would handle the switch to fb and would be one of the moderators he may agree.

Or you could start your own group on fb. Keep in mind there are already several groups out there and it may be easier to join one of them. That's what I did but I seldom post on it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

I'm not aware of the best method for posting a photo but I believe there are ways outside of Photobucket and Google that are as easy as Photobucket once was.  If we can solve the picture posting issue the site is then fine.  Many of the people outside of our group never intend to post a photo - they are just asking questions and aren't deterred by the photo posting part.  They may just be asking for advice and can supply a link we can open just like Photobucket used to be -
SA

kodydog

March 17, 2020, 07:02:09 am #6 Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:04:39 am by kodydog
Photo bucket use to have an IMG option you could copy and insert into your forum message. This would put a thumbnail photo into your message. Usually that was enough to understand what the poster was conveying. And if you wanted to see a larger photo you could click on the thumbnail picture and a bigger photo would appear.

You could also use the IMG photo to add a user photo next to your user name. That was neat because you could personalize your ID, kinda like Facebook does. We lost that option a couple years ago. Maybe I'm missing something but last time I was on Photobucket the IMG option was not there. Only links now.

Photobucket keeps upgrading their site trying to make it more user friendly. But they keep missing the mark. One step picture posting would be a nice option. There are other sites for picture posting but they all involve several steps that most people would rather not bother with. There have been many times I wanted to add a photo to a message but was too tired or just didn't have time.

MinUph

I kinda see all this as a convenience and without the ability to post an picture easily is a lack of it. We have become very lazy. But if there are better, easier ways to do something it is a good thing.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I'm not sure lazy is the right word. For me personally:

Take photo. Upload to drive. resize photo. Allow permissions. make permanent link. check that perm link works. then post.

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on March 17, 2020, 09:32:32 am
I'm not sure lazy is the right word. For me personally:

Take photo. Upload to drive. resize photo. Allow permissions. make permanent link. check that perm link works. then post.

Sure sounds like a lot of work to post a stinking picture 65. I will stay with lazy :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

More like, it's logical NOT to post for that amount of hassle.

kodydog

I've become spoiled. Use to be a time when booting up the computer in the morning I would turn it on and walk away for a while. Now if it doesn't load up in less than 10 seconds I get aggravated. Technology has made me impatient. I need instant information and instant replies. I remember as a boy long distance phone calls were extremely rare. Just to darn expensive. If I wanted to talk to grandma I would write a letter. And two weeks later I would get a response. 30 years ago if I needed information I would either take a class or borrow a book at the library.

Now days everything is right in front of me. And if it takes more than two clicks to post a picture its too much trouble. Grandma would be amazed. Makes me wonder how technology will evolve in the next 100 years. Now where is that smiley face icon?

kodydog

I've become spoiled. Use to be a time when booting up the computer in the morning I would turn it on and walk away for a while. Now if it doesn't load up in less than 10 seconds I get aggravated. Technology has made me impatient. I need instant information and instant replies. I remember as a boy long distance phone calls were extremely rare. Just to darn expensive. If I wanted to talk to grandma I would write a letter. And two weeks later I would get a response. 30 years ago if I needed information I would either take a class or borrow a book at the library.

Now days everything is right in front of me. And if it takes more than two clicks to post a picture its too much trouble. Grandma would be amazed. Makes me wonder how technology will evolve in the next 100 years. Now where is that smiley face icon?

65Buick

LOL

Well, when we have the option of sharing a photo in a heartbeat, dealing with less than that can be aggravating.

I'm not quite 40 and I remember vividly the days of dial-up. Sharing photos was like some sort of mythical wish.

65Buick

Join me @ 21stCenturyUpholstery on FB