Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Forum. Please login or sign up.
March 04, 2024, 12:46:19 am


Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website,, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

French Seams

Started by MinUph, October 19, 2019, 12:12:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic


Quote from: 65Buick on October 24, 2019, 11:01:14 am
As for the terminology of various seams, I found this to be a problem since people use different terms to mean the seam thing. Better to just ask what the customer wants by pointing to examples (when this is the case).

I call these kiss pleats.

I've heard them called faux corners.

French Pleats

Yep, 65's point is well taken.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Darren Henry

Just to stir the pot---If you took that seam where you sew to pieces together and then top stitch trough the salvage and a backing strip on both sides of the seam to a saddler or a shoemaker you would start a whole new argument. Half would call it a baggage seam and half would call it a luggage seam.

I am glad I was able to confuse that up for you [grin]
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!


November 20, 2019, 08:37:15 am #17 Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:07:03 am by SteveA
Stir away !
Club chair or OS chair
High Boy or Armoire
Sofa or Couch
Mix or Blend
Piping or Welting
Bureau or Chest


November 20, 2019, 08:12:09 pm #18 Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:12:49 pm by gene
I say club chair because more people know what that is than OS chair.

I say Amoire because High Boy sounds like a race horse name and Armoire sounds more like something you would want to re upholster.

Sofa of course. More people re upholster sofas than couches.

I like to mix 'Mix' and 'Blend'.

Welt cord. "Welting" is something your body does after you've been beaten with a lead pipe. Seamstresses who have sewn all their lives say piping. Welt cord also sounds more maculine.

I don't think I've ever used the word 'bureau'. I don't know why. Maybe it's a midwest thing?




I think Bureau is more of an English description for small case furniture.  My Grandparents called small chests Bureaus - my parents called them double dressers.  When case furniture made it to my room as a kid my parents called these bachelor chests -