Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:12:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Moving Along

Started by Mojo, August 18, 2019, 03:53:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

We closed on our new building a couple weeks ago and are now going through the new building and adding some things as well as updating others. Thankfully the building is in good shape and built extremely well. It also has great insulation which is a plus down here in the swamp ( Florida ). It does have 2 tired heat pump systems that will need to be replaced down the road but everything else is good.

The worst part is sorting out the electrical so I can add a couple new lines. The building has 120, 240 and 208 with 3 seperate breaker panels. It used to be a printing shop so they must have had equipment that ran on 208. This voltage was popular for grocery stores and such as they ran their lighting and coolers off 208. This voltage has since lost favor and now most commercial buildings are wired for straight 240 and 3 phase 240.

The sewing shop is divided from the office and lobby area. The sewing area will have 2,400 sq ft of space and the remaining 1,600 sq ft will be the office area, kitchen & break room, conference room and design center. The lobby will have retail space for parts, etc. One nice thing is the previous owner when they emptied the building went through and painted the walls and floors. That will save a lot of time.

I did build a new metal fabricating shop inside the sewing area and we now have storage space for parts and supplies along with a fabric storage area. My son-in-law flew down from Richmond, VA and helped me frame, sheetrock and wire the metal fab shop. He then  installed a new security system and we have an 8 camera video monitoring system going in as well. I installed 2 new Sensi thermostats so we can monitor and control our heat pumps from home if we want using our Iphones. The new security system and cameras also are all controlled by our cell phones and we can take a peak around the building using our phones. All of our security systems have battery backup and will work even in the event of a power failure. Technology is amazing these days.

I should be done with the building and we will be moved in about mid-September. I will be glad when the process is done as I am getting too old for this crap. I have 2 shows to do starting in September ( SHreveport and Syracuse, NY ) and will be gone for a month so my time line is tight. :)

Mojo

kodydog

Never a dull moment eh Mojo. Best of luck in your new building,
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Hey Mojo,
  Say hi to Syracuse for us. Thats where were from.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Sounds like a great move Mojo - Congrats!

Been a while since you explained about how many different models, of motor homes, you have
the cover dimensions for on file? 

Do you accept measurements from callers, those you don't have their models on file (probably not)?

As a comment, we have customers needing repairs on smaller boats (than your motor home covers),
that the covers were made in China.  These customers comment what the cost of the covers were.

The covers (seem more universal) are cheaper than we can make but I see problems in the fit and
the materials (see considerable fraying).

Will you also have to relocate your home?

Congrats!

Doyle

SteveA

All the best Mojo - I hope the transition goes as smooth with very little down time.  It will be nice to walk into the new digs before Thanksgiving - pan around and think to yourself - if only I could enjoy this as an owner but I have to go back to work - no other viable options would sit right in my head :)
SA

Mojo

Doyle:

We do not keep a data base of assembly specs in regards to measurements. The awning manufacturers are notorious for making their roller tubes different sizes. Each model can be off by an inch. Doesn't sound like much but on a slide topper assembly an inch can make the difference between water intrusion into a coach.

We also do not go off their serial numbers. Each assembly has a unique serial number and the stickers are sometimes so off it is laughable. The serial number will indicate a 10 ft assembly with heather beige fabric when it actually is 12 feet and is charcoal tweed. We have the customer get us a measurement based on our instructions and go from there. Colors are all OEM colors so those are easy to nail down.

This new building is going to really help our efficiency and save us time as we have added a third sewing station setup up with twin and single needle machines. I will post pictures once we are all done. We just hired another employee who will be a director and oversee all 3 companies. I am falling back into semi retirement mode and will do nothing but marketing and provide technical support when needed.

Mojo

baileyuph

Thanks for the clarification Mojo, the rationale has appreciation.

I got a boat cover in to repair (replace one section), so getting the pattern right/correct is appreciated.
As I inspected this cover it was suggested (actually required) he take it and wash it off a bit because
I didn't want to take a chance of subjecting any grit to my long arm (he agreed).

The development of your production ability/methods sounds great, gives you a better facility, improved
technology, and management control and last but not least greater satisfaction.

Impressive,

Doyle

Mojo

Once I am done I am going to do a video of the new facility.

I just finished the 2 new tables this morning. I need to build lower shelves as we use the table space underneath for storage. The tables are all 2 x 4 construction with 3/4 inch melamine for tops. I encased the edges with 5 inch wide 18 ga 304 stainless which runs the length of the table. This acts as a dual cutting surface for vinyl and also hot knives. I also wire the tables and install outlets at each end and in the center. I do not believe in extension cords in a shop.

One table will be the serger station as well as the table for commercial / residential awning work space. You always need a large surface to work from when attaching the fabric to the frames and I do not want the sewing tables cluttered or shut down.

Our metal fab shop is all done and ready to be moved into. The sewing area is 90 % done. I am in the process of building another office and then I have to complete the kitchen and break room. I do have some odd's and ends to finish up ( electrical & duct work ). The movers will be here September 12th.

I cannot wait till this building is finished. 7 days a week is too much for this old man.

Mojo

baileyuph

Very nice upgrade Mojo - I hear a lot of experience talking.

can't wait to see the video.

Doyle