Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:23:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ripper Tool

Started by SteveA, August 31, 2019, 07:56:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

August 31, 2019, 07:56:48 am Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 05:38:38 am by SteveA
The ripper tool is always at hand but I had this Mayhew pry bar that I never used so I flattened the back and put a slight bevel on the front and it makes a very strong ripper tool.

MinUph

Need permission to see your pics Steve.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Not sure what I'm doing here - I clicked on permission but will try to figure out another way

SteveA

https://drive.google.com/file/d/181vjXNVGC34PHz8IozideZl2bNuZ8KEp/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NHEPSY0cgxDJcLVhcKhFdv5KAG-bnQVO/view?usp=sharing

These photos come from google drive - hope it works.  I think one advantage of this heavier tool is that your hand is farther back and not blocking your view.  The tool's weight means lesser blows to cut through staples.  It won't replace the osborne but it will be a nice aid for stripping

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I understand that Photobucket is entitled to make a living like the rest of us but when you give someone something than take it away - it's a lousy way to do business.
I guess it's best to reduce your photos down to 60 kb and this way you won't use up the 250 mb maximum per month as fast as I did. 

Photobucket isn't as smart as you tube.  Videos are free on you tube  but you see commercials.  It is fine with me to watch commercials and you don't see you tube cutting you off or making the site a headache like photobucket. 

Have a great Holiday all
SA

gene

I'm working on 8 antique barrel back office chairs with a lot of decorative tacks and staples. I can't use my multi function oscillating tool so I have to pull each tack and staple out with hand tools. I found that my awl works best on these chairs. I tap the point of the awl under a decorative tack or staple and it lifts it up enough to be able to pull the staple out with my nippers without damaging the wood.

I just commented to my son last night that the commercials on youtube are getting more and more frequent. And I've noticed that people who have blogs (audio) are starting to read commercials during their talks. They are talking about some topic and all of a sudden you realize they are reading a commercial for "Books on Tape" or some credit card.

Getting stuff for free can be a real hassle sometimes. :-)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

Gene you're right and I find the value in this type of tool for me is when you're removing stapled fabric from an area in tight quarters.  Example when decking pull is stapled in the back of the chair with a long nose gun and the previous upholster put 10 staples in an area the size of a dime.  This tool rips it out without addressing each staple.  Awls and sharpened screwdrivers work - I've yet to try the Oscillating tool for stripping fabric - one of these days !
SA