Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:21:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Making an ottoman

Started by gene, June 26, 2019, 05:24:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I make a wooden box 10" x 10" x 10".

I glue 1" foam to the four sides making it 12" long x 12" deep x 10" high.

I glue 12" x 12" x 2" foam to the top making it 12" long x 12" deep x 12" high.

The 12" x 12" x 2" piece of foam on top is supported by the 10" x 10" wood box and the 1" foam (on all four sides).

My concern is can the 1" foam on the sides support the edges of the 2" top foam, or will the edge of the 2" top foam get beaten down if people occasionally sit on the ottoman?

Thanks,

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

I think your plan will work. If you are concerned about the sides crushing try this method. Make the wood box then add edge roll (1" should work) around the top. Place your 2" foam on top. Make the 2" foam 1/2 " bigger all around. Then a layer of dacron. Add 1/2" foam all around and under your 2' foam. The edge roll will keep the edges from crushing.

Not sure what your final goal is but I would cover the top first then add a border around the wood frame.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Before you glue on the sides put a rim around the top 2 inches wide - 10 inches long - 4 pieces the highest density foam you can buy - double glue  it then regular 35 below to finish off the sides.  It should give the edge extra strength
SA

gene

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to give both ideas a try to see how they work.

I want to enclose the wood box with foam so the corners are soft. This helps add to the uniqueness of the ottoman.

My idea is to be able to make a custom ottoman of any l x d x h up to 23" for one price plus COM of 1 yard or 1 1/2 yards of fabric, depending on the size. IDs can include this as part of their original work, as an add on to a project, or even as a TY to their customers. By keeping my cost down (materials and labor time) and having a specific procedure to cut the parts and put everything together will keep my price down.

I'm selling a custom size with COM and a fairly quick turn around. I can't compete on price with any company who makes a lot of ottomans. So I need to have value added to justify my price.

I use the Kreig circular saw guide. This is awesome and quick for cutting our my 6 wood panels to make the box. (I get excited about the Kreig circular saw guide. This is an easy tip off that I am not a woodworker. LOL)

gene

SteveA

I wonder if you could use those corner protectors that parents use for child safety on coffee table glass or the corner protectors they use to protect the corners of frames for shipping ?
SA

gene

I just ordered 18/90 1" foam for the sides to see if it better supports the top foam around the edges. I'll use medium density foam for the top. The edge roll was promising but added some time to the process and I didn't like feeling it under the batting.

gene

MinUph

gene,
  I don't want to sound harsh but it seems you are over thinking this. Why do you need 1" foam on the sides to support a top piece of foam? Build your top 1"larger than the box and cover the sides with 1/2" or just Dacron. or even 1/2" and Dacron. Let the wood top support the foam on it. Seems like a lot of foam on the sides. And the 1" will compress when the fabric is put on.
  Just a thought.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Gene,

I will look through my files in the event you might find some interest to give a vendor who
makes and ships all types of frames they build (disassembled of course).  As I recall their
prices were not bad.

Maybe you could go on line and happen on to it?

Doyle