Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Customers Getting Bigger

Started by baileyuph, June 07, 2019, 05:58:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I do a diversified type of business and one common issue for upholstery failure is
people are getting bigger (very heavy).  The newer furniture just isn't built to support very large
people, that is;
  a.  Cushions will flatten in a short while
  b.  Frames in particular often come up broken.
  c.  In the case of recliner they often are broken down (bent) where  footrest
       are attached.  Bent so badly the mechanism will lock.
  d.  Needless to say the webbing/springs, etc. are often torn out/broken/frayed.

All, in most cases, is due to large people.  This has to play out in their life span (I expect shorter).

The issue not only applies to upholstered furniture - other chairs are taking the abuse also.

Auto seats are coming in for not only upholstery repairs also, which can get involved with
the safety equipment (air bags, anything they use).  Not a simple issue sometimes especially when
the seat includes an air bag plus worn upholstery. 

This business is changing!

Doyle

SteveA

and you would think that in the last 40 years with so much emphasis on health, exercise - natural foods - deterring  heart disease, and yearly physicals we' be smaller not bigger.
No more smoking a 10 dollar bag and going to white castle for a dozen burgers with fries, onion rings, and a shake - well that was me in HS - now I'm more careful about what I eat.  I know Gene has got it down pat - I'm trying always.  Anyway no complaining - let them keep breaking the furniture
SA

kodydog

Not only are people bigger but the furniture is built cheaper. There is no way the typical sofa frame built today will hold up to a 250/300 pounder. You would think the manufactures would try to keep up with the trend. Its the competitive mind set of manufactures that designs this furniture that is destined for failure. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

What is the primary focus on furniture focus?

That one would have to be price.  Consumers maintain a heavy focus on price is very apparent.

Why?  Is it because of ignorance, budget issues, or put another way their priorities? 

Given today's technology and much higher automation one is encouraged to think a much better
quality product would be possible.  Manufacturers could select better wood and perform better joinery
techniques if consumers were more discerning.

Instead consumes get bigger and product quality is lacking.

Landfills are filling up.

Doyle 

SteveA

June 08, 2019, 07:10:33 am #4 Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:12:34 am by SteveA
I had no idea the worlds population is going the wrong way.  I have 3 health clubs and 2 retail fitness stores within 5 miles of my office.  Is anyone using these establishments ?
Local people do yoga and light cardo in their homes and you can sign up.  Places like trader joes and whole foods encourages healthy eating -
Commercials on TV are slim people - when I'm in a public place it seems the great majority are within a decent weight.   
I guess the answer is if you are obese you should consider furniture made like a rock - not made to last 2 years
SA

kodydog

June 08, 2019, 06:12:51 pm #5 Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:27:37 am by kodydog
Quote from: SteveA on June 08, 2019, 07:10:33 am
I had no idea the worlds population is going the wrong way.  I have 3 health clubs and 2 retail fitness stores within 5 miles of my office.  Is anyone using these establishments ?
SA

I get your point. It seems like those in America should be the fittest in the world. So here's the deal, The health clubs make a killing signing people up to one year contracts knowing full well 9 out of 10 people will fail after two months. The consumer thinks if they sign this contract they will be committed, somehow this will force them to exercise.

Yoga classes are a little different. Usually small, 10 to 15 people and pay as you go. No commitment at all. either you show up or you don't.

Here is another good one. Spend $10,000 on exercise equipment and set up a private gym in you garage. Yeah, that usually lasts about 3 months. Bowflex, but the pictures look so pretty.

Truth is you can get free fitness exercise by simply getting out there and hoofing it around the neighborhood a time or two every morning. That would take a real commitment and self motivation. And there lays the problem 

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html