Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:55:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

OEM fabrics---58 Oldsmobile

Started by Darren Henry, May 07, 2019, 04:38:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

Does any one have a lead on a source  for original interior fabric for a 58 Oldsmobile super 88. This car is a survivor. By that I mean it is all original and it looks like it just rolled off the line. Because of that I think the owner would spring for the $$$ to bring it in from the states if we have to.

Thanks, Darren.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

RiCat

Hello. It is not stated to what extent of the interior needs to be done. If a complete interior, there is kits with ready made original covers and such that can be purchased. If just sections, yardage might be able to be purchased here - https://smsautofabrics.com/

Rick

Darren Henry

Thanks Rick I  had forgotten them. We are looking at the seats and 1 door panel. The rest is in excellent condition. I will try to post some pics when I get home this weekend.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

RiCat

May 08, 2019, 08:55:21 am #3 Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:58:02 am by RiCat
If it was me, I would get a set of ready made covers. If you do, let me suggest to find out who is really doing the covers (because most that sell kits do not make the covers themselves). Do not get covers made by PUI. I just tried to install a set from them on a 68 Charger. Horrible set of covers. We set them back and got a set from Legendary. Much better set of covers. I think Distinctive Covers are good also.  I do not know if SMS makes covers or not. If you do get covers, be sure to really look them over to make sure things are done properly and dry fit them first.

65Buick

I second SMS for original fabric, and also Legendary for reproduction high-quality interior goods.

ClarkD

How do they compare price-wise, RiCat? I would think Legendary is much more expensive, no?

RiCat

Hello, my customer bought the covers from Year One. I do not think they up-charged him for Legendary. I really does not matter. A set of covers that has a lot to be desired on quality control before they are shipped is wasted money. And from the forums he reviewed, PUI has had these type of complaints for years. So in reality, they just don't give a damn. I would say any 3rd party that sells them (having to assume they have heard the same thing) does not care either.

Rick